Sunday August 8: Orioles vs Rays

SteveA

18 minutes ago, Philip said:

I never saw him succeed except here and there. I was so happy to see him finally go to Atlanta and even they released him the same day. They just wanted the compensation pick

The stats don't lie. He and Jim Johnson were nails to close out games in 2011-13. He did collapse though near the end of his O's career.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Do you really believe Elias prefers Oriole losses to wins, and do you think it affects his roster decisions?

Yes I think Elias prefers the Orioles to lose while he is doing the rebuild.  You can tell the easiest he wants us to lose when you remember he did nothing for our starting pitching in the offseason.  He intentionally went into the season with a bunch of AA guys who had maybe a little time at AAA.  It did not take a genius to realize we were built to lose.  And lose we are. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Watch Rays relievers...they understand that batters are to be retired late in games.

I think our guys understand that, but they also seem to think that the way to get guys out is to throw the ball way off the plate in the hope somebody will swing at that garbage.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

That stats don't lie. He and Jim Johnson were nails to close out games in 2014. He did collapse though near the end of his O's career.

He also was very good in 2012 when he returned to the majors as a reliever.   He had a 1.35 ERA in 18 appearances.  He did allow a big homer to Ibanez in the playoffs that year though.   

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Do you really believe Elias prefers Oriole losses to wins, and do you think it affects his roster decisions?

I don't think he deliberately supplies players to lose. But I don't think he's out to surprise everyone with a valiant but futile run for expensive respectability. It's unfortunate that the strategy of turning some middling free agents (Franco, Harvey, Galvis) and some decent relievers into rich returns didn't work out.

Rather than get silly pumping fans' hopes of a near .500 season, he has to be stoical and maintain focus on a multi-year plan of improvement;, and oh, in the process develop a thick Hyde!

• Upvote 1