New? trade partners for Ramon

GotNitro

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just saw this on the bottom of a Roch blog:

"lftyg33 said:

Do you know what teams are looking at Ramon Hernandez? What might the O's get in return for Ramon. Also, if Ramon is traded, does that make Matt Weiters the starting catcher?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detroit and Cincinnati are two of the rumored teams. If Ramon is traded, chances are pretty good that Wieters is the starting catcher on Opening Day. But if he doesn't look ready in spring training, the Orioles won't rush him. - Roch

November 17, 2008 6:26 PM"

http://masnsports.com/2008/11/minor-league-signings-1.html

I have not heard of these two teams being interested in him. I apologize if I missed it somewhere. I would love some input from the Reds and Tigers analysts as to what they might give up for him. I assume it would be a low to mid level prospect.

The Mets are trying to get rid of Schneider. They could be interested in Ramon

The Ramon for Willis trade might be a dud (if people were actually interested in it) because it seems the Tigers are looking into Jack Wislon and could get involved in a three way trade with the Pirates, Tigers, and Marlins (Matt Treanor being a target).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/11/tigers-intere-2.html

And with the Sox thinking about a Lugo for Willis trade.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/11/cafardos-late-1.html

A trade with the Mets could be interesting, but we might have better luck just trying to package him.

... then shouldn't we have a deal put together by now?

Just a few months ago, it seemed as though everyone was happy with a R. Hernandez deal, provided we got a "bag of baseballs" in return. I'm certainly no GM, but I don't see why simple deals like this have to drag out so long when it comes to the O's. It certainly doesn't seem that way with other teams. But then again, maybe that's just the pessimist in me talking.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

... then shouldn't we have a deal put together by now?

Just a few months ago, it seemed as though everyone was happy with a R. Hernandez deal, provided we got a "bag of baseballs" in return. I'm certainly no GM, but I don't see why simple deals like this have to drag out so long when it comes to the O's. It certainly doesn't seem that way with other teams. But then again, maybe that's just the pessimist in me talking.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

That if that many teams actually want him, then there is no reason to just take that theoretical "bag of baseballs" and try to get some value back.

Plus, there is the whole idea of not wanting to rush Wieters (whether one agrees or not), and not wanting to just dump him when he very easily could be our starter for another season.

I'm not saying any of it is right, just that those are some reasons.

Keep in mind, just because teams have expressed interest in him, doesn't mean that they are ready to make a deal. Sometimes interest is established and put on hold to see how the make up of their roster will unfold. I expect he will get traded but I think it will be a late offseason trade IF it happens. Just my opinion.......

That if that many teams actually want him, then there is no reason to just take that theoretical "bag of baseballs" and try to get some value back.

Plus, there is the whole idea of not wanting to rush Wieters (whether one agrees or not), and not wanting to just dump him when he very easily could be our starter for another season.

I'm not saying any of it is right, just that those are some reasons.

I missed that too. Ramon, even with his salary we will have to pay part of, does have significant value. I thought not before, bag-a-balls.

It's my understanding that the front office is split on what to do with Weiters in 2009.

Either way, Ramon was more a detriment to this team than a help in 2008. They've got to get a catcher who actually gives a hoot and can help the pitcher behind HP. In essence you'd probably be paying 6-8 million for a backup catcher after combining their salary with what you eat from Ramon's, but at least that catcher would help the pitchers...

It's my understanding that the front office is split on what to do with Weiters in 2009.

I don't care what the front office wants to do with Wieters in 2009...if they get someone who wants to take Hernandez off our hands, we should jump on it.

Although, I think the latest he should be on this team is May 1.

Archived