Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

12 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And other posters have speculated the Orioles might be having cash flow issues and they need the 2022 Davis contract deferred just to keep the team running. I'd doubt financially it's that bad, but I don't rule it out. 

If a team with their low payroll is having cashflow problems then there are many teams with cash flow problems.  I don't believe that for one second.  Because of Covid they aren't generating the cash they were before but they are far from broke.  MLB players are still getting big time contracts.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Honestly the drop off the cliff after getting paid has ruined Davis for me. 

I don’t care if he got lazy, changed the drug regiment that made him successful, or whatever.

He basically stole 100+ million from the fans and contributed heavily to the collapse.

I know that Angelos agreed to pay him. But, it’s the fans that suffered most. The team was hamstrung from the contract and the results were terrible 

Yeah, I think he owed it to the Orioles to be in the best possible shape he could be. Now if he was doing it illegally, he wasnt caught, so I dont know how he got so big and powerful in his earlier years. But he was never the same player once the contract was signed. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, accinfo said:

If a team with their low payroll is having cashflow problems then there are many teams with cash flow problems.  I don't believe that for one second.  Because of Covid they aren't generating the cash they were before but they are far from broke.  MLB players are still getting big time contracts.  

Not to derail the thread about money in general, but I tend to agree with you that they have enough cash to operate. That said, between Covid, poor performance and a drastically different financial forecast for MASN, the Angelos' bottom line can't be anything near what they were hoping.

My best guess is they're preparing to sell when PA passes away. If that's the case, we could be looking at very cheap ownership this offseason (at least) as well. We'll see I guess.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Not to derail the thread about money in general, but I tend to agree with you that they have enough cash to operate. That said, between Covid, poor performance and a drastically different financial forecast for MASN, the Angelos' bottom line can't be anything near what they were hoping.

My best guess is they're preparing to sell when PA passes away. If that's the case, we could be looking at very cheap ownership this offseason (at least) as well. We'll see I guess.

That could be another 8 years. he's 92 but he also has great healthcare. I hope they aren't waiting for that to happen. 

53 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I was about to disagree with you, but then I realized I was thinking about Steve Kline, the jerk we signed as a free agent who wasn't very good and talked about how Baltimore wasn't a great baseball town.

You are right, Brandon Kline was a good guy, despite being a UVa alum.   He was in our system quite a while and finally made the majors, and just wasn't QUITE good enough to stick around, which is a shame.

You're alright...

For a Hokie. ;) 

26 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

That could be another 8 years. he's 92 but he also has great healthcare. I hope they aren't waiting for that to happen. 

I am not an expert, but my recollection was that because of tax reasons, it's expensive to sell now and it'll be expensive to keep the team after he passes. Again, I'm not the expert by far on this. Just my recollection. 

Just asking? And I am glad this Saga is over as well! Since Chis is retiring due to a degenerative hip condition, could insurance have any positive affect on the Orioles payout? If his contract was insured or partially insured, the insurance company would be a partner in this as well. May be the reason why the Orioles did not wait for next year and any benefit from a delayed labor negotiations settlement. 

41 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

0*pJ-LlftuYZjqdUQp

One hundred sixty-one million United States dollars

Is this the lack of Adderall?  Because unless there is a naked blonde standing in the dugout I cant understand why his eyes are where they are. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Is this the lack of Adderall?  Because unless there is a naked blonde standing in the dugout I cant understand why his eyes are where they are. 

Who knows.

The degeneration of his entire career was partially explainable (for reasons DrungoHazewood went over) but there was still plenty of bafflement from his mental lapses to his deceptions over his effort and his almost kind of callous disregard for how bad he was.  Like, I know I saw those articles about how he was in tears over how bad he was, which is what I would've expected, but it didn't seem to get reflected in his effort or his tone.  He acted to me like he didn't care that much.  But what do I know, I'm not in his head.

Just so glad he is gone.

13 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

It's hard to say if that was something like ADD - or if he had simply given up by then.  Probably a combination of things.