(Edit: Orioles get 1st pick after walkoff homer by Diamondbacks)

Greenpastures23

31 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:
5 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Hell no.  It goes against the integrity of the game to sit all of your good players.  And the O's have already shown the ability to lose without even trying.  Also, I don't buy the hype about Elijah Green being the clear 1-1.  

But it's ok when teams that have clenched playoff spots do it.  What's wrong with a terrible team like the O's resting their players.

Because in the first situation you are not “resting” your players; rather, you are benching your players to increase the team’s chances of losing.  In the second situation you are resting your players in hopes of improving the team’s chances of winning the World Series.  In the second situation, the team still wants to win.  That is, from an ethical perspective, the reason why matters.  

Edited by jdwilde1
Typo

I remember I looked one time to see how often the no. 1 pick was better than the no. 2 pick, and vice versa.   I posted the results here, but can’t find them now.   My memory is that it was basically a 60/40 proposition.   And, there were years where they both were very good and others where neither was very good at all.   

If you look at it purely in terms of odds, you’d clearly rather have no. 1 than no. 2.   (Among other things, nowadays it gives you more slot money to play with).  But at the end of the day, making a good pick with whichever pick you get is far more important than which of the two picks you get.    

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

But it's ok when teams that have clenched playoff spots do it.  What's wrong with a terrible team like the O's resting their players.

Because I make the rules.  j/k

Do playoff teams actually do that?  probably not for more than a couple of games.  Not 9 games - especially with only 2 extra roster spots this year for September.  

The only legitimate reason to bench a starter at this point is injury.  Matteo and Urias are out for the rest of the season for that reason.  Santander and Severino have been in and out of the lineup the last few weeks with legitimate aches and pains.  I could see Mancini sitting a game or two - I think he's plain worn down and I completely understand why he would be.  But there's no reason to bench Mountcastle, Mullins or Hays just to improve the odds of losing.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I remember I looked one time to see how often the no. 1 pick was better than the no. 2 pick, and vice versa.   I posted the results here, but can’t find them now.   My memory is that it was basically a 60/40 proposition.   And, there were years where they both were very good and others where neither was very good at all.   

If you look at it purely in terms of odds, you’d clearly rather have no. 1 than no. 2.   (Among other things, nowadays it gives you more slot money to play with).  But at the end of the day, making a good pick with whichever pick you get is far more important than which of the two picks you get.

All time combined WAR for 1-1 is 1104.4 with 85% making it to the majors.  For 1-2 its 724.6 and 84%.  For 1-3 623.9 and 80%.  In addition, there is a bigger bonus pool for the higher pick.  With that said there are plenty of 1-1 busts.  

12 hours ago, fitzi22 said:

Honest question, do you think the O’s should go out of their way (more than usual) to field non competitive teams for the last 9 games to try and get 1-1.  They can sit Means, Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander and Mullins once he gets 30-30 all in the name of “evaluating other players”.  And really does it matter that much that we get 1-1 instead of 1-2?

The lighthearted answer is how could you tell.  But the integrity of the game and the playoff positions at stake require an honest effort such as it would be...

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

See above.

34 minutes ago, foxfield said:

The lighthearted answer is how could you tell.  But the integrity of the game and the playoff positions at stake require an honest effort such as it would be...

See above.

But the playoff teams that already secured berths don't have to put any effort in.  I guess the integrity of the game doesn't matter for them

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I hate the idea of trying to lose or rooting for the team to lose.   I refuse to root for losses and would not want to team to dilute its already diluted lineup to try to lose.   I’d rather root for them (and the DBacks) to win and just take some solace when the O’s lose that at least it’s helping with the draft pick.  If I had my choice of going 9-0 and finishing with the no. 2 pick and going 0-9 and finishing with no. 1, I’d definitely prefer the former.   That may be shortsighted but it’s the way I’m wired.   (And yes, I realize that if we went 9-0 we might pick 3rd or even 4th, though the latter is highly unlikely.    I might waiver at the prospect of only getting the 3/4 pick, so I’m only talking about no. 2.)

Like tonight’s game.  I am hating every second of this 9th inning.   I am not thinking “oh goody this helps our draft position.”

And if Wells did something to his elbow, that’s really going to suck.  

6 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Because I make the rules.  j/k

Do playoff teams actually do that?  probably not for more than a couple of games.  Not 9 games - especially with only 2 extra roster spots this year for September.  

Indianapolis Colts used to do it for month at the end of the season.  I think its part of the reason the Colts only won 1 Super Bowl when Peyton was there.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Like tonight’s game.  I am hating every second of this 9th inning.   I am not thinking “oh goody this helps our draft position.”

I'm not able to watch the game, but the O's used 7 relievers?  In a lousy bullpen someone is likely to have a bad day.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Wells injury sucks. Honestly, I’ve been following the games and when we’re winning and the bullpen comes in, I don’t really mind if they blow the lead. They’re going to anyways, so my rooting doesn’t change that. 

Hyde had found two relievers to set up and close in Wells/Sulser. I hope Wells is ok. 

The O's had no business losing that game Friday night and it may have saved their shot at the #1 pick. Texas may actually be worse than the Orioles so today's game is big. Arizona picked up a huge unexpected W last night but will probably drop one day and get swept @ SF. With the injuries we've picked up recently I don't see how we win more than 1 of the final 6 games.  Could come down to how Arizona does against a mediocre Rockies team.  With all that being said, I'd much prefer to ruin Boston or Toronto's chances.

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

The O's had no business losing that game Friday night and it may have saved their shot at the #1 pick. Texas may actually be worse than the Orioles so today's game is big. Arizona picked up a huge unexpected W last night but will probably drop one day and get swept @ SF. With the injuries we've picked up recently I don't see how we win more than 1 of the final 6 games.  Could come down to how Arizona does against a mediocre Rockies team.  With all that being said, I'd much prefer to ruin Boston or Toronto's chances.

But what are we really spoiling?  2/3 of BOS, NYY, and Tor, are going to make it. I’d rather have the #1 pick and the most allotted draft pool money.