Should the Orioles claim RHP Chris Ellis from TB? (Update: Claimed, Valdez DFA'd)

Tony-OH

The Rays DFA'd Chris Elliott after his four inning, seven strike out work against the Orioles. Grant it he was facing the Orioles and he's struggled in AAA this year, but the stuff didn't look terrible and he's got a better chance of eating innings now and turn into something in the future than Cesar Valdez. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=ellis-002chr

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/chris-ellis-595939?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, crowmst3k! said:

BB rate and HR rate were not terrific at Durham. Good K9. WHIP isn't great.  

Depends on whether there are major issues in these places or things that can be fixed via coaching. 

LOL.  Yeah, our coaching is great at "fixing" things and getting guys ready for the majors.

I wonder if other GM's have a preference for former top picks?  Or is it that we primarily see the Orioles and just make wild assed assumptions with no context about how they operate compared to others?  I know we enjoy dead horse flogging.  ?

• Haha 1

What does it mean that I spend much time on mlbtraderumors.com looking at who has been dumped today and seeing whether we want them?

It has been suggested that Mike has a fondness for first round picks. He also seems to like high strikeout rates, He doesn’t seem to mind high walk rates, I wonder if anybody can clean anything more specific about what he’s looking for in the rejects from other teams?

Regarding position players, I’m not sure what he’s looking for, except possibly speed. Excellent Defense does not seem to be a consideration.

53 minutes ago, Philip said:

What does it mean that I spend much time on mlbtraderumors.com looking at who has been dumped today and seeing whether we want them?

It has been suggested that Mike has a fondness for first round picks. He also seems to like high strikeout rates, He doesn’t seem to mind high walk rates, I wonder if anybody can clean anything more specific about what he’s looking for in the rejects from other teams?

Regarding position players, I’m not sure what he’s looking for, except possibly speed. Excellent Defense does not seem to be a consideration.

Spin rate.