Topps is out.

Moose Milligan

It's not often that I nod my head in agreement with Keith Olberdouche but here we are:

I grew up collecting cards, pretty hardcore.  From the time I was six, practically through the end of high school.  Didn't buy many as an adult until about 3 or 4 years ago when I bought a pack at random while at Wal-Mart and remembered why it was so much fun in the first place.  

I bought all the brands, Donruss, Fleer and even Upper Deck when I was feeling rich.  But above all else, I bought Topps.  Lots of fond memories of stopping at a 7-11 with my dad to get a few packs.  Organizing them, trading them, buying a Beckett to see how rich they were making me (they weren't).  My dad's company did a project for Topps, he went to their headquarters and brought me back a complete set of 1993 and some other packs of Topps Finest.  Topps was my brand, even though for years they lagged behind some of the other companies in certain areas.

I didn't flinch at all when Donruss, Fleer and Upper Deck lost deals with MLB but this is different.  This actually hurts a little bit.  Two big middle fingers and a crotch grab to Rob Manfred and MLB.  And it's not like they awarded it to Donruss or Upper Deck, two companies that are still in the trading card business...I might even understand that.  

You gave it to FANTATICS???  Who the **** is that?  They're an apparel company.  What the **** do they know about trading cards? 

Topps is as synonymous with baseball as peanuts and Cracker Jack as far as I'm concerned.  **** off, Manfred and MLB.  You don't do anything right.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm into baseball cards anymore, but yeah MLB (Manfred surprise, surprise) is screwing up an historical partnership over some money. 

This is an easy move to criticize, but we don’t really know the details.   Assume Topps said, hi, we want to renew our deal but we need to cut our license fees in half.”   Would MLB have to accept that just because they had a 70-year relationship with Topps?

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is an easy move to criticize, but we don’t really know the details.   Assume Topps said, hi, we want to renew our deal but we need to cut our license fees in half.”   Would MLB have to accept that just because they had a 70-year relationship with Topps?

Sure, we don't know the details, that's a valid point.

There is some speculation on Twitter (yeah, I know) that Fanatics tried to buy Topps a few years ago and Topps told them to go pound sand.  So Fanatics elbowed their way in, struck this deal with MLB which leaves Topps out in the cold and now they're going to offer to buy Topps at a fraction of what they initially offered a few years ago.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not a good time to be getting into collectables.  Prices are up on almost everything.

I remember as a kid, riding my bike 3 miles to the local 7-11 just so I could buy a couple of fresh packs of baseball cards and pray I’d get a Frank Robinson.  Was never really a collector though.   

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I want to get back into collecting cards. 

I've got a collection of old cards.  I was thinking about selling some on ebay.  60's mostly.  Some older, some newer.  A good number of Orioles and hall of famers.  If you're interested in any particular years, players, or teams, pm me and let me know, and I'll check to see what I've got.