Connolly article on pitching

Sports Guy

It’s an understandable tactic, modern-day baseball’s sleight of hand. “Yes, our big-league team stinks, but concentrate on the minors because the rebuild is working and the new stars are a’comin’.”

Here’s the problem: I’m not buying it.

I’m not buying it because I just don’t see enough quality pitching in this improved pipeline to think the Orioles are going to make noise anytime soon in the American League East.

And when I write “anytime soon,” I mean next year, the year after that and the year after that and maybe the year after that.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Since I haven’t seen most of the Orioles’ minor leaguers pitch, I asked a few scouts from opposing organizations about their thoughts on the arms in the Orioles’ system.

Both love Rodriguez, putting his floor at a No. 2-3 starter, with plenty of room to move upward. And both think Hall will be in a big-league rotation, too, assuming he can stay healthy.

Beyond that, though, the praise isn’t as effusive.

One of the scouts, who has seen all four of the Orioles’ top levels this season, was at a loss to name anyone besides Rodriguez and Hall who he believes will be a big-league starter. He kind of likes right-hander Blaine Knight, who was just moved to Triple A. He thinks lefty Zac Lowther can make a living as a middle reliever and sees Drew Rom as a potential lefty swingman.

He’s not enthralled by right-hander Mike Baumann, whose past year has been limited by a right flexor/elbow strain. Baumann, often considered the Orioles’ third-best pitching prospect, has thrown fairly well since beginning his season in mid-May. He had three solid outings at Triple-A Norfolk before lasting just one inning Wednesday, throwing 39 pitches and allowing five base runners and two runs. Given his recent health history, Baumann wasn’t going to be pushed after such a long and stressful inning.

The scout, who has seen Baumann throw multiple times (but not Wednesday) just doesn’t think he has enough command of his pitches to be a starter. If he sticks in the majors, the scout believes, it will be as a reliever.

It’s not an isolated opinion. Another scout said he likes Baumann’s arm but still is concerned about his health and thinks he projects better in the bullpen. Beyond Rodriguez, the scout called the rest of the organization’s starting candidates “a crapshoot.”

It amazes me that folks think that

1. The O's will just be able to trade for quality pitching on the maket
  2. That ownership will be willing to take on the type of salaries the Astros did when they traded for pitching.

High ranking or not I don't see how anyone can look at this organization and see a playoff contender with the pitching. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It amazes me that folks think that

1. The O's will just be able to trade for quality pitching on the maket
  2. That ownership will be willing to take on the type of salaries the Astros did when they traded for pitching.

High ranking or not I don't see how anyone can look at this organization and see a playoff contender with the pitching. 

I think what you mention here is more of a hope about what they will do.  I think some do assume it and that is foolish but with the limited amount of short and long term payroll, the team should be very open to this.

The one thing I hold out hope about is that Elias would have likely shared this plan with ownership from the beginning and they know that they will be doing this and agreed to it.  

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Or, they didn’t and it’s more of the same from when the old man was running things.

That's my guess: Elias is pursuing a plan whose final, expensive stages the present owners won't support, and he's not going to be able to play this out unless there's a change in ownership within a couple of years..

I further speculate that Elias wanted to land a GM job in the worst way, and that's what he got.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

That's my guess: Elias is pursuing a plan whose final, expensive stages the present owners won't support, and he's not going to be able to play this out unless there's a change in ownership within a couple of years..

I further speculate that Elias wanted to land a GM job in the worst way, and that's what he got.

I think his plan is to parlay his work building the minors into a new job when this one rebuild ultimately fails.  I don't think the industry is going to hold him at fault.

Nothing new here. In fact, their take on Hall is on the optimistic side.  No WS since 1983. One ALCS since 1983.  That's 38 years.  Elias has the organization moving in the right direction.  Time to call him a moron, speculate ownership doesn't want to compete, and ask for change!!!!!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think his plan is to parlay his work building the minors into a new job when this one rebuild ultimately fails.  I don't think the industry is going to hold him at fault.

You are speculating. You don't know that.  That was the answer an esteemed member of this board gave to another poster once.  You are the king of theories.   This one still helps the Orioles in the end even if it's correct.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hard to be effusive about the minor league pitching when the Orioles just don't prioritize pitchers in the drafts under Elias. 

2021: 9 of 20 picks.  7 of which were picks 14-19, and none of which were in the top 4 rounds.

2020: 1 of 6 picks.  It was the last pick.

2019:  Not a single pitcher before round 8, 9 of the first 20.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You are speculating. You don't know that.  That was the answer an esteemed member of this board gave to another poster once.  You are the king of theories.   This one still helps the Orioles in the end even if it's correct.

That would be why I said "I think" right there at the start of my comment.

That was to indicate what followed was speculation.

• Upvote 2