Connolly article on pitching

Sports Guy

Something that is easy to overlook, is that by the time this team is really going to have the talent to compete, whatever that  year is, the competition will be going all out to improve, and some of them will.  So we would not be competing with them without some of them being better, which means we need to improve more than is sometimes thought.  

• Upvote 1

You can fault Elias and co for things but I think he’s been pretty much 100% honest about the nature of what the plan is. This doesn’t sound like a guy who thinks he won’t be able to execute trades/sign FAs and will have to rely on the farm to fill out 5 spots in the rotation. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They should be stretching him out..but they aren’t.  Why?  There has to be a reason for it. 

There are trying to keep his innings low in 2021.  I expect them to stretch him out in ST.   He has a decent chance to begin the season as a starter looking ar what the O's have now.   He could pitch 120 inning next year.  There will be some pitch limit is my guess.  That will not mean a whole year of starting but its a step in the right direction for 2023 if he pitches well.

Just now, wildcard said:

There are trying to keep his innings low in 2021.  I expect them to stretch him out in ST.   He has a decent chance to begin the season as a starter looking ar what the O's have now.   He could pitch 120 inning next year.  There will be some pitch limit is my guess.  That will not mean a whole year of starting but its a step in the right direction for 2023 if he pitches well.

Why keep his innings this low though? Why go from 2-3 inning stints to high leverage single inning outings?  His IP count isn’t high at all.  He certainly could pitch more.  At the very least, he could still be going 2-3 innings.

He also just missed a month of time, so he has some IP he can catch up On.

Maybe they will stretch him out..it’s dumb they aren’t doing it right now though, if that is the intention.  He’s a big guy who is plenty old enough.  He doesn’t need to be babied.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Spending most of the season on the IL is a step back in my book. Baumann has been battling injuries and his performance while healthy has been erratic. 

DL Hall went from A+ in 2019 to AA in 2021 and pitched well when healthy.  Yes he is injured and we don't know how bad.  But he improved a level.

Baumann pitched a AA in 2019.  He ended last year with an arm injury.  He rehab at AA.  In his last 4 starts as Bowie the pitched at least 5 innings per start and allowed no more than 2 earned runs per game.   That got him a promotion to AAA.  At Norfolk he has made 4 starts and has a 2.81 ERA.   That is progress.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Double negative in that last sentence.  

I’m disappointed that so few names are on this list.   Overall it has been a discouraging year on the pitching front, though Grayson has been brilliant and deserves all the accolades he’s received.  

Corrected that.  Thanks

Name me another season the O's have had this many starter  prospects in the upper minors this decade.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why keep his innings this low though? Why go from 2-3 inning stints to high leverage single inning outings?  His IP count isn’t high at all.  He certainly could pitch more.  At the very least, he could still be going 2-3 innings.

He also just missed a month of time, so he has some IP he can catch up On.

Maybe they will stretch him out..it’s dumb they aren’t doing it right now though, if that is the intention.  He’s a big guy who is plenty old enough.  He doesn’t need to be babied.

The answer is there, if you want to believe it is the question.  

1) Tyler had TJ  surgery.

2) He has not pitched in games since the surgery until this year.

3) He recently has tendinitis and they don't want to push him.

4) They are being care with him because he is valuable to them in the future.

5) They have the whole off season to build him up physically before ST.

That all I have.  Take it or leave it.  I think I know what you will do. 

• Upvote 1