Who was your favorite Orioles non-superstar?

GotNitro

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any of you remember a guy named Sam Bowens? As a kid I saw him mash a ball in Memorial stadium that missed going completely out of the ballpark in left field by two rows of bleachers. So of course at that age he was one of my favorites, and since I batted LHed I liked Curt Blefary.

I also had a couple of relief pitchers that were my favorites: Eddie Watt (with his big chaw of tobacco was cool) and I always liked Stu Miller, Moe Drabowsky (who can ever forget his performance mowing down the Dodgers in 1966) and another more obscure reliever named Pete Reichert, who I am pretty sure they got in a trade with the Senators.

• 3 weeks later...

Suprised I haven't seen Jim Dwyer's name mentioned yet.

"Jim was a great role player and clutch pinch-hitter for the Orioles. In the heat of the '82 pennant race, he reached base 13 consecutive times over 4 games. In July '83, he hit .452 in 48 at-bats, ranking 5th in the Best Month Performance all-time list."

The quote is from the sponser on Dwyer's Baseball Reference page Raymond Erdman

Edit: Sorry Old #5 I missed yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody remember when Leo Gomez got off to that crazy torrid start in '93, something like 8 homers halfway through May? I think he finished with 10 and a .197 batting average. I always liked him though, and the man with the goggles, Chris Sabo.

Archived