Cedric Mullins - 30/30 ?

RZNJ

21 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Or the O's aren't flat out lying when they reported that he's been rested because of a sore hamstring.  

Yes, and Hyde said that with the off-day today that gave him the opportunity essentially to rest Mullins for three straight days.   I’m guessing you’ll see Mullins start in every game this week, unless he reinjures himself.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's weird that people are upset that Mullins is getting time off.  I think a lot of you have forgotten that this is easily the most he's played at the ML level.  

Particularly if he's got a tweaked hamstring.  How monumentally stupid would it be to send him out when he isn't 100% and have him suffer a bad hamstring tear?

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Particularly if he's got a tweaked hamstring.  How monumentally stupid would it be to send him out when he isn't 100% and have him suffer a bad hamstring tear?

Absolutely.  I'm not sure what the healing time is for something like that but I'm assuming it might cut into ST.  

Wouldn't want that guy playing 2022 with a hamstring injury, those tend to be nagging.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Absolutely.  I'm not sure what the healing time is for something like that but I'm assuming it might cut into ST.  

Wouldn't want that guy playing 2022 with a hamstring injury, those tend to be nagging.  

Could impact his speed going forward.

It's all risk zero reward, even if the risk is low that not a hard call.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could impact his speed going forward.

It's all risk zero reward, even if the risk is low that not a hard call.

I get that people want to tune into whatever games are left and see our best players but I agree, it is stupid.  He's got 30/30 in the bag, there's no upside in playing him.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's weird that people are upset that Mullins is getting time off.  I think a lot of you have forgotten that this is easily the most he's played at the ML level.  

The most games Mullins played in professional baseball before this year is 124 in 2016. And Mullins has played in 153 games out of 156 total for the season. There's only three games where Mullins has sat for all nine innings. 

Mullins isn't exactly on the verge of turning into the next Nolan Reimold. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The most games Mullins played in professional baseball before this year is 124 in 2016. And Mullins has played in 153 games out of 156 total for the season. There's only three games where Mullins has sat for all nine innings. 

Mullins isn't exactly on the verge of turning into the next Nolan Reimold. 

And to make sure he doesn't, if he's hurting like they've said, put him on the IL.

https://www.mlb.com/news/most-improved-mlb-players-from-2020-to-2021

Sweet-spot rate: Cedric Mullins, Orioles
Change: +13.5 points

Every season introduces us to new stars who emerge seemingly out of nowhere, and nobody fits that role better this year than Mullins, who wound up as the AL’s starting center fielder in the All-Star Game. Closing in on a 30-30 season, Mullins ranks in the top 10 among position players in FanGraphs WAR -- this from a guy who carried a .342 career slugging percentage into Opening Day. One key to Mullins’ success has been replacing a lot of ground balls with line drives and fly balls. His sweet-spot rate -- how often a batted ball is in the ideal launch angle range (8-32 degrees) -- has jumped all the way from 23.4% to 36.9%, helping make him a power threat for the first time.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm holding my breath...seems to good to be true that this change is for real and sustainable.  Even though what Tony's presented over the course of the season points to that...I dunno, it just seems too good to be true.

Even if he does end up being a one year wonder...well, what a year it was.

I'm hopeful that he regresses but settles in as a 3.5-5 win player.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm hopeful that he regresses but settles in as a 3.5-5 win player.

I'm sure that came out the wrong way.  I'm sure Moose or SG will point out that you don't actually hope he regresses but that if he does regress that it won't be much and he'll still be a very solid 3.5- 5 player.   ?

3 hours ago, LA2 said:

And to make sure he doesn't, if he's hurting like they've said, put him on the IL.

I suppose some people will accuse the Orioles of trying to tank the last week of the season to secure the 2022 #1 pick, but you're correct if Mullins is hurting don't play him this week.

Mullins has gone above and beyond this season, and there's no reason to risk a more serious injury assuming he really is hurting.