2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You take Holliday because you think he’s better.  You don’t take him because he saves you 500k.

Where did I say that?

I didn't. I said that saving some money makes him a more compelling pick for the O's. It fits their strategy under Elias.

I happen to think that Holliday is the better talent, the better fit for the team, AND saves the team money to use on the rest of their picks. Wouldn't be surprised if the O's draft war room ultimately feels the same.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Where did I say that?

I didn't. I said that saving some money makes him a more compelling pick for the O's. It fits their strategy under Elias.

I happen to think that Holliday is the better talent, the better fit for the team, AND saves the team money to use on the rest of their picks. Wouldn't be surprised if the O's draft war room ultimately feels the same.

As long as they feel he’s the best player in the draft, sure the likely saved money helps.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I guess it was entertaining for their readers.  I didn't really learn much, if anything, from reading that.

There are a few interesting comments. 

“3 player draft”  I disagree about Johnson but McDaniel saying that was interesting to me.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There are a few interesting comments. 

“3 player draft”  I disagree about Johnson but McDaniel saying that was interesting to me.

I know he doesn't believe any of the college players, including Brooks Lee, should be in the discussion for 1:1.    He said he would be ready to be very critical of the Orioles if they went college player there.     You like everything McDaniel says except when it comes to Termarr Johnson.  

I just don't think Jones is a clearcut #1.  Would he have been taken over Adley or Witt.  I don't think so.   Would the Tigers have taken him over Torkelson?   Maybe last year he would have ben the #1 when the Pirates supposed everyone and took the Cather from Louisville.  

Does Elias take an outfielder 3 straight years?   I know the chances all three starting in big leagues is a long shot.  Maybe he trades one of them for some pitching.    

15 minutes ago, sylvester said:

I just don't think Jones is a clearcut #1.  Would he have been taken over Adley or Witt.  I don't think so.   Would the Tigers have taken him over Torkelson?   Maybe last year he would have ben the #1 when the Pirates supposed everyone and took the Cather from Louisville.  

Does Elias take an outfielder 3 straight years?   I know the chances all three starting in big leagues is a long shot.  Maybe he trades one of them for some pitching.    

He definitely is a better prospect than Tork.  The McDaniel article said he would have gone 1 in most of the last 15 or so drafts.

27 minutes ago, sylvester said:

I'm on the Jones bandwagon, but Fangraphs has a pretty easy to sort site for this and prior drafts with their future value grades.  (You can sort by the various tools as well.)  Their assessment agrees with your questioning Jones as a clearcut 1.1.

Jones has a 45+ FV.  Johnson is 50.

2021 had 7 graded at 50.  Including Cowser.

2020 had 7 graded at 50 or higher.  Only Tork was a 55.  The rest were 50, including Kjerstad.

2019 has 7 graded at 50 or higher.  Only Rutschman was a 60.  Witt, Vaughn, Abrams, Greene, Lodolo were 50.  

2022 Draft Prospects | THE BOARD | FanGraphs

3 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Thanks for sharing.  I am really finding it entertaining how every mock basically says here is who we think is the best player but we have no idea who the Orioles are going to take.  It has to be very frustrating for these analysts who make a living trying to forecast the draft.

35 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Thanks for sharing.  I am really finding it entertaining how every mock basically says here is who we think is the best player but we have no idea who the Orioles are going to take.  It has to be very frustrating for these analysts who make a living trying to forecast the draft.

Or it’s great for business to drive clicks!

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The whole “won’t know until Sunday” stuff is so odd.  If you don’t know by now, something is wrong.

I think I heard Elias gets in a room the day of the draft with his top people and that is when the final decision is made.  I am sure in his head right now Elias has a pretty good idea who he is taking but he has his most negotiating power the day of the draft when he calls the few guys on his short list and gets their final signing number.