UMBC vs. Towson

blueberryale77

Exactly. Nobody's saying that a person from California is going to be more entertained by UMBC vs Towson than MD vs Duke (although probably a few of those crazy hippies would be ;)) but on a Baltimore-based message board with numerous members who attended one or the other of the schools involved, you would think there would be some interest.

That said, if I were a kid or person who hadn't gone to college and lived in Columbia, MD (between Baltimore and DC) and wanted to become a fan of a local college basketball team right now, I would still probably choose UMBC over Maryland. Why?

• They win more often, including a lot of close games.
  • They play like a team and actually seem to really enjoy playing together.
  • They exceed expectations instead of being a bunch of highly touted recruits who can't seem to put it all together.
  • Their coach is hilarious.
  • They have a player who's my height... and he's damn good!
  • Easier to get tickets.
  • Anybody can be a Terps fan, rooting for an underdog makes you more unique.

Lol good luck with that! What a biased post. MD doesn't play like a team? And MD doesn't win as many games because they don't get to play mid-majors all year! As for the coach and player being your height, who cares about that stuff.

Bottom line is, if you want to root for a local team that actually has a chance in the near future of being relevant nationally, you pick MD.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol good luck with that! What a biased post. MD doesn't play like a team? And MD doesn't win as many games because they don't get to play mid-majors all year! As for the coach and player being your height, who cares about that stuff.

Bottom line is, if you want to root for a local team that actually has a chance in the near future of being relevant nationally, you pick MD.

What??!! A biased post in a thread started for the express purpose of trash talking? How shocking! :eektf::rolleyestf:

Everyone has their own reasons for watching sports, and individuals choose their teams accordingly. Some people love the Yankees and Red Sox because of the chance of being "relevant" than comes with their big payrolls. Others prefer teams they can relate to more because of their underdog status. To each her/his own.

Technically they ARE picking MD. Just a different one...

Well Blueberry, we ain't looking so good....I swear to god Justin Fry is way over his head

Well there are the two understatements of the year. Don't I feel like an arse? This had to be the worst sporting event I've seen since the O's 30-3 game. What the heck happened? So many things went wrong, but I never thought I would see Jay Greene moping around the court like an Oriole in September or Randy Monroe watching his team fall behind by 20 points and basically staying calm on the sideline. WTH? Did they all smoke some of that weed the Towson dude was suspended for? I guess I owe some Tiger alums some rep or something. That and I'm suddenly VERY concerned about the rest of this season. :(:mad::o

:leaving:

:puke:

:cussing:

Well there are the two understatements of the year. Don't I feel like an arse? This had to be the worst sporting event I've seen since the O's 30-3 game. What the heck happened? So many things went wrong, but I never thought I would see Jay Greene moping around the court like an Oriole in September or Randy Monroe watching his team fall behind by 20 points and basically staying calm on the sideline. WTH? Did they all smoke some of that weed the Towson dude was suspended for? I guess I owe some Tiger alums some rep or something. That and I'm suddenly VERY concerned about the rest of this season. :(:mad::o

:leaving:

:puke:

:cussing:

They look lost but I don't have too many worries about the season. Actually, I think this team is more talented than last year's. Flemming and Gilliam are going to be stars in this conference.

When the opposing team sets a school record for 3's you can't do much about that. A lot of those 3's were NBA three-pointers as well.

I didn't think Towson was going to be able to keep that up but they did....I think they hit over 60% behind the arc....amazing considering the amount of shots they took there.

They look lost but I don't have too many worries about the season. Actually, I think this team is more talented than last year's. Flemming and Gilliam are going to be stars in this conference.

When the opposing team sets a school record for 3's you can't do much about that. A lot of those 3's were NBA three-pointers as well.

I didn't think Towson was going to be able to keep that up but they did....I think they hit over 60% behind the arc....amazing considering the amount of shots they took there.

True Towson was impressive with the three pointers... you kind of knew they were going to come out sharper after the last couple of games they've had... but our boys also missed a lot of shots and just generally weren't very sharp. Plus it was against Towson. :mad:

I had no idea I would be right when I wrote this.

Well in fairness I wouldn't exactly call a 7 point lead at halftime "wrapped up" but our dogs did roll over and play dead for you after that.

Good to see Towson finally beat a quality team.

That was a classy thing to say after the way UMBC played tonight (and the way I was a jackass about this game beforehand).

There is no doubt they are better than they looked tonight though.

Well there are the two understatements of the year. Don't I feel like an arse? This had to be the worst sporting event I've seen since the O's 30-3 game. What the heck happened? So many things went wrong, but I never thought I would see Jay Greene moping around the court like an Oriole in September or Randy Monroe watching his team fall behind by 20 points and basically staying calm on the sideline. WTH? Did they all smoke some of that weed the Towson dude was suspended for? I guess I owe some Tiger alums some rep or something. That and I'm suddenly VERY concerned about the rest of this season.

Towson played far better than anyone could have expected, and UMBC looked like they had at least a down game. Play that game again, and it is much, much closer.

I honestly thought UMBC was going to win tonight. But I'm one of those Towson pessimists.

That said...

PAT'S CATS! :smile11: :boogie: :beerchug1: :2yay-thumb: :awesome::drek::gallden:

Archived