2024 Gameball Thread

Aristotelian

That sequence showed why Mateo is on the team. There are much worse things than having him in the 9 spot here and there versus LHP. And when he’s not, he can pinch run and do the exact same thing. It’s why when push comes to shove, and it will soon, it’s Urias’ head on the chopping block and not Jorge’s. 

We all know this, but it’s nice to see it demonstrated on the field here and there as a reminder.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Not to discount Mateo’s contribution yesterday at all, but Suarez gets the game ball in my mind. He was the biggest factor in us winning. 

I see where you're coming from, but my expectation is always a competent pitching start. If he has thrown 7 scoreless then I would be on board with you but I agree with OP that Mateo's sequence was more influential on the outcome.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

This thread is to call out players for whatever reason. Can include obvious heroic performances (the Cedric and Westburg walkoffs) but also random high effort or baseball IQ plays that don't stand out in the box score.

I'll start with one from last night's game.

April 22, Orioles 4-2 Win @LAA

Several great choices from this game, including Kimbrel's K of Trout with the bases loaded to close the game, and the strong start by journeyman Suarez. However, my game ball goes to Mateo. In the 3rd, he fought to 3-2 and took a tough pitch off the plate for a leadoff walk, then stole second and third. Trailing 1-0, the Angels elected to play the infield in, resulting in Adley muscling a soft liner just over the drawn in defense. Without stealing second and third, we likely end up with nothing. So not only did Mateo's speed get himself into scoring position, he also produced a RISP hit for Adley and a run for himself.  

Can you please go back and give retroactive game balls for each win?

20 minutes ago, Gunnar said:

I see where you're coming from, but my expectation is always a competent pitching start. If he has thrown 7 scoreless then I would be on board with you but I agree with OP that Mateo's sequence was more influential on the outcome.

Just to be clear, I wasn't personally making any claims about influence on the outcome. The criteria (in my mind) are completely subjective. If you were Hyde giving a pep talk to the team, who would your game ball go to?

20 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Can you please go back and give retroactive game balls for each win?

I don't get to watch every game but some that come to mind:

3/28 vs LAA Burnes 6 IP, 11 K in Orioles debut

3/30 vs LAA Grayson 6 IP, 9 K

4/1 vs KC Westburg walkoff HR

4/3 vs KC McCann walkoff base hit

4/14 @MIL Jackson Holliday gets his first hit and scores go-ahead run

4/15 @MIL Cedric Mullins superman catch and 3-run HR

4/17 @MIN Suarez 5.2 shutout innings, zero BB in O's debut

4/20 @KC Santander three doubles and key diving catch

4/21 @KC - Co-gameballs to Westburg and Cowser for the back to back homers. This shouldn't be allowed but I'll make an exception for the rare feat. 

Cowser should probably have another one in there

7 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think maybe 'game ball' is getting confused with something like 'unsung hero' of the game.  The former should go to Suarez, and the latter to Mateo.

Yeah, I feel like the approach by some here is the same as Little League coaches at the end of the year when all the good players have already gotten theirs.

"Great job by Timmy, in the 2nd he made a great slide."

7 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think maybe 'game ball' is getting confused with something like 'unsung hero' of the game.  The former should go to Suarez, and the latter to Mateo.

It's whatever you want it to be! And doesn't need to be a debate.

For me, the gameball tradition comes from our 7-14 year old rec league, and I would always lean more to the unsung hero type.

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Just to be clear, I wasn't personally making any claims about influence on the outcome. The criteria (in my mind) are completely subjective. If you were Hyde giving a pep talk to the team, who would your game ball go to?

Yeah definitely agreed it is subjective, and I wouldn't be mad about Suarez getting the game ball from yesterday. Just saying if it were me, I would reward the "above and beyond" performance of Mateo over the "expected" (in my mind) performance of Suarez.

24 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Suarez 100%.

First player of the game Suarez.

Second player of the game Rutschman.

Third player of the game Mateo/Cowser/Kimbrel.   Tie.

Game ball or the equivalent of hockey star(s) of the game for me:

Suarez — all of those zero’s on the road, gets my game ball.

Kimbrel is my runner-up. I know striking out Trout with the bases loaded is the job, but it ain’t easy.

Cowser - Honorable Mention. I’m still not 100 percent in on the Milkman nickname, but he sure is fun to watch.