Texas or Oklahoma?

Sports Guy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me throw something else into the debate... Can anyone make a case for why UF at this point is worthy of a higher ranking than UT or OU other than style points? Until they beat Alabama their resume includes their big wins being against teams that were highly overrated. They are being carried by the SEC's reputation.

BINGO!!!!

How UF is even in this discussion blows my mind. THEY LOST AT HOME TO OLE MISS!!!! Who has UF beat? Georgia? LSU? FSU?? They all are not good teams. They don't have a single win you can hang their hat on, and they're ranked number 2 in the AP poll? I think its all anti-BCS sentiment here to make the SEC championship a defacto playoff game when Texas Tech deserves to be there more than UF does; not to mention Texas.

All of the following teams have better resumes AND better losses: Texas Tech, Texas, and OU. You could argue USC, Penn State, and Alabama (if they lose on Saturday).

Personally, I hope Texas does end up ahead of UF in the BCS. They've certainly earned it more than UF has.

To the original thread question, I think Texas deserves it because they lost at the end of a ridiculous gauntlet of games, on the road, in the last seconds. OU might look like they are playing better now, but their defense certainly hasn't justified that line of thinking.

The OOC schedule is a good point, but who in the world knows that TCU and Cincy are going to be top 15 teams at the end of the year? And how do you schedule tough teams like this in advance? Are you going to punish Texas because of A. timing B. bad luck? Texas did play Arkansas, which going into the season would of looked like the toughest opponent for all the non-conference between OU and UT.

This whole thing sucks because we need a playoff. Seriously, we're all sick of it.

Could be although I do think it's relatively easy to make a case that their resume is superior. USC's schedule wasn't all that challenging.

Their losses aren't even close though, and Florida doesn't have a win as good as Ohio State.

Florida is ranked highly for one simple reason.....

They are just that damn good.

At some point, actually watching these teams play has to come into the equation as well.

Right now, IMO, the 3 best teams in the country are Fl, Ok and USC...Texas is just behind them.

Now, if you look purely at resumes, I actually agree that Texas/Ok should be the NC game if Fl beats Bama and Ok beats Mizzou.

At some point, actually watching these teams play has to come into the equation as well.

Right now, IMO, the 3 best teams in the country are Fl, Ok and USC...Texas is just behind them.

Now, if you look purely at resumes, I actually agree that Texas/Ok should be the NC game if Fl beats Bama and Ok beats Mizzou.

I agree.

That's why Tech shouldn't be in the equation for the Big 12 title game, plus their resume is worse than the other two teams. So it comes down to OU and UT.

And I think UT is right there with those 3 teams you list when talking about who the best teams are.

I disagree somehwat... Not that they aren't damn good... I just don't see any clear cut evidence that they are a better team than UT, OU or USC... When you have teams that have similar talent resumes should count for something and UT/OU have resumes that are far superior to that of UF or USC. However, when UF beats Alabama that improves their resume enough that I won't really have a problem with them playing for a title over USC or even over one of OU/UT. It's just that them being ranked higher right now doesn't make a lot of sense w/o completly discounting a really bad loss.

From an piece by Pete Fiutak for Fox Sports: Big 12 is responsible for this BCS controversy

Great point about the misuse of the BCS:

Don't blame the BCS system for Texas not being in the Big 12 title game. Again, this is not what the system is for. The system is set up to determine a national champion, and for the Big 12 to use it as a tiebreaker will cast a pall on the rest of the season.

Here's the problem. Oklahoma beat Chattanooga, one of the nation's worst FCS teams, 57-2 in the season opener. If you're just going by margin of victory in games against FBS teams, Oklahoma and Texas are almost dead even. If you count the game against Chattanooga in the overall formula, then Texas' strength of schedule is better than OU's. And, of course, Texas beat Oklahoma by 10.

So by almost all measures, Texas and OU are dead even in the statistical parts of the equation. Texas, again, played the stronger schedule, according to the NCAA, and the final score was 45-35 in the Red River Rivalry. However, three computers had Oklahoma No. 1 overall, two had the Sooners No. 2. Texas was ahead of OU in two computer formulas, but the question remains: how much will the computer formulas change after the final week? There are still several games to be played that will change up the computer part of the equation, but by that point, Oklahoma will have already played Missouri in the Big 12 title game and the damage will have been done.

Tougher schedule, they won the head to head matchup but get passed over by the team they beat by double digits on a neutral field.

He nails it w/his opinion later in the article:

This might be the biggest controversy in the history of the BCS system because there's no tangible argument for Oklahoma. Texas can always fall back on the 45-35 win in the Red River Rivalry. Now the Longhorns will have to watch two teams they beat by a combined score of 101-67 play for the Big 12 title.

How sad is it that we have a system where something this ridiculous can happen?

From an piece by Pete Fiutak for Fox Sports: Big 12 is responsible for this BCS controversy

Great point about the misuse of the BCS:

Tougher schedule, they won the head to head matchup but get passed over by the team they beat by double digits on a neutral field.

He nails it w/his opinion later in the article:

How sad is it that we have a system where something this ridiculous can happen?

But I thought OU's resume was so much better?:D

Archived