Who is the Orioles 2021 #7 prospect?

Tony-OH

Who is the Orioles 2021 #7 prospect?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Orioles 2021 #7 prospect?

• Mike Baumann - RHP
    • Kyle Bradish - RHP
    • Kyle Stowers - RF
    • Jordan Westburg - SS/3B
    • Terrin Vavra - 2B

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

One guy played and led all minor league players in HR. The other guy hasn’t played since March 2020. At this point, there’s not much of a comparison. 

Of course there is, especially for this type of a list.  

There is a matter of projection, upside, etc…

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course there is, especially for this type of a list.  

There is a matter of projection, upside, etc…

I guess the problem with this one is it’s all conjecture. He’s had a life threatening medical condition since he last played. We don’t know if it will be recurring or if it has any impact on his strength and endurance. A lot more difficult to diagnose than how Hall will return from his injury shortened season. I’m fine with giving him a generic ranking in the 10-15 range, but Stowers is leaps and bounds ahead at this point. 

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I guess the problem with this one is it’s all conjecture. He’s had a life threatening medical condition since he last played. We don’t know if it will be recurring or if it has any impact on his strength and endurance. A lot more difficult to diagnose than how Hall will return from his injury shortened season. I’m fine with giving him a generic ranking in the 10-15 range, but Stowers is leaps and bounds ahead at this point. 

Im not so sure you make a Kjerstad for Stowers trade.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Im not so sure you make a Kjerstad for Stowers trade.

There would be a lot of factors in that decision. For the Orioles, you might prefer the upside of Kjerstad. They have to take some chances on the higher upside/higher risk players like Kjerstad because they’re so far behind the rest of the division. But, if we’re trading one of the two I think Stowers definitely brings the bigger return. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

There would be a lot of factors in that decision. For the Orioles, you might prefer the upside of Kjerstad. They have to take some chances on the higher upside/higher risk players like Kjerstad because they’re so far behind the rest of the division. But, if we’re trading one of the two I think Stowers definitely brings the bigger return. 

Maybe…I’m not  so sure either bring much right now.

But the point is that when Tony does this list, it comes down to who would he rather have in the organization.  (Or at least that’s part of it)

Im not willing to say I want Stowers more…but I also say that with no medical reports in front of me or any knowledge of how he looks now, mental outlook, etc…

16 minutes ago, waroriole said:

One guy played and led all minor league players in HR. The other guy hasn’t played since March 2020. At this point, there’s not much of a comparison. 

Yeah, seems like Stowers has established a much higher floor than Kjerstad with .900 OPS at A+/AA. Does Kjerstad have that much more upside to ignore the downside risk? 

I think the k rate would be the problem, just like it is with Stowers. They're similar athletes, I think. Stowers might even be a better outfielder. Both powerful. It's the k rate and worry about how that'll translate to MLB that knocks Stowers. Not his draft status.

JMO.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, waroriole said:

In that daydream, I think he would be a credible #2.   

Kjerstad was in Torkelson's ballpark on pedigree, Stowers was in Torkelson's ballpark on performance.   TINSTAAPP, etc.

Different circumstances, but Kjerstad feels a bit to me like Josh Hamilton did once upon a time...he's just off the baseball map until he isn't.   All we really know is Decision Sciences thought Kjerstad was the man, and the results on other hitters from recent drafts have generally been good.   Kjerstad '22 mostly same thing as Mancini '21 - fingers crossed his year will be as successful as Trey's.