Getting the roster from 27 to 38

interloper

52 minutes ago, interloper said:

All 4 60-day IL guys have been added, so the roster is at 31 now. 

I'll stand by my prediction of 6 guys added for protection (Hall, Bradish, Smith, Vavra, Bautista, Neustrom). 

The only one who may not is Smith. 

I didn’t see Bautista listed on the FG list but I’ll assume you are right that he needs to be added.  Definitely 5 and 6 is certainly possible.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No..I called him a failure at the ML level.  That was made quite clear.

And you gave him a B or B+ for those acquisitions, which I eluded to.  That’s stating a fact of what you said, not putting words into your mouth.

Basically I think he'll get double that. Like 5/$100. He's an AL East horse in a pitching-starved market. 

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No..I called him a failure at the ML level.  That was made quite clear.

And you gave him a B or B+ for those acquisitions, which I eluded to.  That’s stating a fact of what you said, not putting words into your mouth.

Now you are saying you like Urias and Wells and it's too early to tell on others. We would all agree with that. If you are sticking by your earlier statement of "failure" then we must have different definitions of failure. 

I never used the words "great job".

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Now you are saying you like Urias and Wells and it's too early to tell on others. We would all agree with that. If you are sticking by your earlier statement of "failure" then we must have different definitions of failure. 

I never used the words "great job".

If you are grading him a B-B+, you are saying he is doing a good job for these things. 

And I have always said I like Wells and especially Urias.  That’s not new.  But the SSS for those guys is small and giving him that high of a grade is a bit much imo.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you are grading him a B-B+, you are saying he is doing a good job for these things. 

And I have always said I like Wells and especially Urias.  That’s not new.  But the SSS for those guys is small and giving him that high of a grade is a bit much imo.

There is a middle ground between failure and great.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

What are your metrics of success for the MLB team? Some of the things I am looking for:

-Payroll flexibility/lack of long term binding contracts. Give Elias an A+ here. 

-Find undervalued talent from other teams who can be future contributors. We've acquired Tyler Wells, Urias, Mateo. Lost Pop. Elias gets a B here.

-Continue developing MLB ready prospects who can be the next core. Pitchers have not done well overall but Mullins, Hays, Means, and Mountcastle have all continued progression. I would give maybe a B- here. 

-Free agency acquisitions to play decently competitive MLB baseball and flip for prospects. Iglesias and Galvis had successful seasons for their price. Milone was pretty good and got himself traded. Could have done better than Franco/Ruiz. I would give Elias a B here. 

Overall, I would give Elias a solid B to B+ for management of the MLB team relative to any relevant metrics at this point in the rebuild. 

Just as a reminder of what you said

On 11/6/2021 at 12:41 PM, Sports Guy said:

I guess you protect Smith but I would have rather kept Ellis and Harvey over him.

I don't think Ellis has left the organization though. the rule states this:

"If a player has more than three years of Major League service time or was previously outrighted in his career (by his current club or another club), he is eligible to reject the outright assignment and instead opt for free agency. Players with more than three but less than five years of Major League service time must forfeit any remaining guaranteed money on their contract if they reject an outright assignment. Conversely, those with five or more years of Major League service time are still owed any guaranteed money remaining on their contract, should they elect free agency following an outright."

Since he was outrighted by the Tampa when the Orioles picked him off waivers, I think this means he's eligible to be a free agent, but he could accept the outright. Since he passed through waivers it's doubtful he's going to get signed to a major league deal. 

We would he not resign with the Orioles on a minor league deal with a major league spring training invite? I doubt there's an organization out there where he has a better chance of winning a job than with the Orioles. This really goes for most of the pitchers outrighted.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think Ellis has left the organization though. the rule states this:

"If a player has more than three years of Major League service time or was previously outrighted in his career (by his current club or another club), he is eligible to reject the outright assignment and instead opt for free agency. Players with more than three but less than five years of Major League service time must forfeit any remaining guaranteed money on their contract if they reject an outright assignment. Conversely, those with five or more years of Major League service time are still owed any guaranteed money remaining on their contract, should they elect free agency following an outright."

Since he was outrighted by the Tampa when the Orioles picked him off waivers, I think this means he's eligible to be a free agent, but he could accept the outright. Since he passed through waivers it's doubtful he's going to get signed to a major league deal. 

We would he not resign with the Orioles on a minor league deal with a major league spring training invite? I doubt there's an organization out there where he has a better chance of winning a job than with the Orioles. This really goes for most of the pitchers outrighted.

It looks like he chose free agency over Norfolk, which he was eligible to do due to the rule you quoted. But like you said, he could always come crawling back on a MiLB deal if the other teams don’t offer a MLB one.

• Upvote 1

Here what I think is happening with Ellis.

Just because a player is put on waivers does not mean he was outrighted.  He has to pass through waivers to even get to be outrighted.    When Ellis was put on waivers by Tampa the O's claimed him so he was never outrighted by Tampa.

So when Ellis cleared waivers for the O's it was the first time he had been outrighted.   So he had to accept the assignment to Norfolk.   But he is eligible to be a 6 year minor league FA.   So its his right to stay or go as a minor leaguer.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It looks like he chose free agency over Norfolk, which he was eligible to do due to the rule you quoted. But like you said, he could always come crawling back on a MiLB deal if the other teams don’t offer a MLB one.

He'll get a little more money presumably by re-signing as a minor league free agent I'm guessing? I'm sure it's the kind of thing where as his agent, you insist he at least test free agency. I hope he comes back, bad peripherals or not. We'll need guys like him and maybe he's figured something out.