Target: Under 800 Runs Allowed

Frobby

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Compared to last year, I’d take it.  Nobody’s claiming he’s a long term solution.  

That right there…the team has lowered your expectations so much that a 1-1.5 WAR player is something “you’ll take”.

Thats horrendous.

Thats the attitude they want from the fan base.

BTW, this is more of a general comment.  Just hate that they have gotten the fan base to think this way.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, I prefer an option that actually matters and for the team to give a sh!t about the product on the field instead of lying and fooling the fan base.

You are suggesting that there is no difference between Gutierrez and the slop manning third in the past, and that is incorrect.
If the team wants to go get an established 3B, I’m all for it. I’m fond of Kyle Seager, for instance. Getting older, but still solid. Matt Chapman would be splendid. But if they are looking for Franco 2.0, no thanks.

It all depends on when mike flips the switch, until then, incremental improvements remain improvements.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

You are suggesting that there is no difference between Gutierrez and the slop manning third in the past, and that is incorrect.
If the team wants to go get an established 3B, I’m all for it. I’m fond of Kyle Seager, for instance. Getting older, but still solid. Matt Chapman would be splendid. But if they are looking for Franco 2.0, no thanks.

It all depends on when mike flips the switch, until then, incremental improvements remain improvements.

He was worth -.6 WAR last year.  That’s not anything but slop.  The overrating of him And his defense is hilarious.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He was worth -.6 WAR last year.  That’s not anything but slop.  The overrating of him And his defense is hilarious.

Your rather have Ruiz? Bearing in mind that unless we sign a meaningful player we’re going to get someone limited? Gutty doesn’t hit well, although he might. But his defense is excellent.

I would be very happy to sign someone like Seager or trade for Chapman. But we’re not there yet, and absent those guys, a very good defender who can’t hit is better than someone who can neither hit nor defend.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Your rather have Ruiz? Bearing in mind that unless we sign a meaningful player we’re going to get someone limited? Gutty doesn’t hit well, although he might. But his defense is excellent.

I would be very happy to sign someone like Seager or trade for Chapman. But we’re not there yet, and absent those guys, a very good defender who can’t hit is better than someone who can neither hit nor defend.

Elias isn't going to be able to turnaround the whole roster in one offseason so players like Gutierrez will get a chance come spring training. At the very least if Elias can't find the player he wants at certain positions then try to improve incrementally.

There is a chance Gutierrez will flop as a hitter, but 3B defense will improve. That's at least some improvement over last year with Franco at 3B. 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias isn't going to be able to turnaround the whole roster in one offseason so players like Gutierrez will get a chance come spring training. At the very least if Elias can't find the player he wants at certain positions then try to improve incrementally.

There is a chance Gutierrez will flop as a hitter, but 3B defense will improve. That's at least some improvement over last year with Franco at 3B. 

You don’t have to convince ME, I’m totally understanding this… tell HIM @Sports Guy

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are citing fWAR for the entire season.  rWAR had him at -0.1, but +0.8 as an Oriole.   He was +1 Rdrs, +2 Rtot, +5 OAA as an Oriole.   Nobody’s saying he’s Brooks or Manny, but he’s very solid over there.   

I understand we are talking SSS here, both offensively and defensively.   That’s why when I was stating my realistic hope for his offense, I was going off his MiL track record, not some sample from a few weeks in September.  

Anyway, it’s not worth too much more ink.  

34 minutes ago, Philip said:

We are there..thinking we aren’t is bs.  People believing that is exactly how the team wants you to think.  They have played this well.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

We are there..thinking we aren’t is bs.  People believing that is exactly how the team wants you to think.  They have played this well.

I think we can flip the switch. I think we can win next year, and I mean really win. We don’t need as much as some people say we do, although we need a couple of breaks to go our way. The other divisions have only one or two teams that are realistic playoff teams, And with not too much, we can be in real contention, but it depends upon Mike flipping the switch.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:30 PM, LA2 said:

Going position by position, where can we expect improvement? is a question far from being answerable at this point.

I should look up G/F data and other related information.  But it's pretty astounding to finish last in both BB+H per inning and double plays turned.  The Orioles allowed more runners on base than any other MLB team and they were still last in double plays.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I should look up G/F data and other related information.  But it's pretty astounding to finish last in both BB+H per inning and double plays turned.  The Orioles allowed more runners on base than any other MLB team and they were still last in double plays.

DEFENSE IS IMPORTANT. 
Not just not making errors but playing clean, throwing to the right guy, blocking pitches, covering the right base, and so on. Our defense looked like it was in slow motion much of the time. I remember lobs to first on routine ground balls that were so lazy the runner almost beat them out.

So stop spouting all this OBP to the exclusion of all else stuff. Defense is important! Kyle Seager is old and no longer elite, but he still plays a great 3B. I’d love to have him.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

DEFENSE IS IMPORTANT. 
Not just not making errors but playing clean, throwing to the right guy, blocking pitches, covering the right base, and so on. Our defense looked like it was in slow motion much of the time. I remember lobs to first on routine ground balls that were so lazy the runner almost beat them out.

So stop spouting all this OBP to the exclusion of all else stuff. Defense is important! Kyle Seager is old and no longer elite, but he still plays a great 3B. I’d love to have him.

Absolutely nobody thinks defense isn’t important.   And anyone who watched a lot of Orioles baseball last year knows that we failed to turn a lot of makeable double plays.  

I think there are two reasons we were bad at DPs: lack of top notch defensive skills, and lack of continuity.  We never had any lengthy period where the same 2B, SS and 3B were playing together, so they never really got into a rhythm.   I’d hope for a steadier trio this year.