I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is true, but the Cardinals probably would have managed the problem better than the Angels did.   There’s no doubt they’re a well run organization.  

No doubt because, again, one bad contract doesn’t cripple a payroll or a franchise the way Os fan like to think it does.

If you do things properly, it really doesn’t matter.

But this speaks to the overall point.  You can sign guys and if they are mistakes, you can get past it.  You can draft late in the first round and still build a good farm system.  You don’t have to spend 200M a year to be a sustainable  franchise.  All the excuses Os fans like to make and they are all completely wrong.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This one is easy.

1.  They are in a division with three small market teams, two of whom don't even try (pirates, reds) most of the time.  (I.e. the same reason the Patriots were a 2000's dynasty).

2.  They are the 6th most valuable franchise.  They have some of the best TV revenues in the game.  Thry have tons of resources to devote to the product. 

3.  On top of that they spend a lot of their earnings into the product, while a top 6 valued franchise they frequently operate in the middle of the pack in revenues. (This would be a good owner - something the Orioles can't depend on)

4.  Despite the above they have convinced MLB to get extra draft picks because of their metro area.  They are a large valuation team get the benefits of a small metro area team.  

So in conclusion:

The Orioles could follow their model if they get a new owner, division, and expanded their revenue streams (which likely isn't possible).

Ah. The good old “pity us because we play in the AL East” bit, followed by “they have more money than us!” routine. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This one is easy.

1.  They are in a division with three small market teams, two of whom don't even try (pirates, reds) most of the time.  (I.e. the same reason the Patriots were a 2000's dynasty).

2.  They are the 6th most valuable franchise.  They have some of the best TV revenues in the game.  Thry have tons of resources to devote to the product. 

3.  On top of that they spend a lot of their earnings into the product, while a top 6 valued franchise they frequently operate in the middle of the pack in revenues. (This would be a good owner - something the Orioles can't depend on)

4.  Despite the above they have convinced MLB to get extra draft picks because of their metro area.  They are a large valuation team get the benefits of a small metro area team.  

So in conclusion:

The Orioles could follow their model if they get a new owner, division, and expanded their revenue streams (which likely isn't possible).

Any team with a meddlesome owner is going to have some issues, but continued success with the conditions in Baltimore is definitely possible.

Don’t devote too much money to one player, plan ahead, trade everyone at peak value, keep the acquisition net wide and the pipeline fully stocked.

11 hours ago, Philip said:

On the contrary, it is completely true. The team will have ebbs and flows, based on random chance And misfortune such as is happening to Kjested right now, But if you avoid long-term contracts, all of which are stupid, trade your guys at peak value and restock the farm, and there’s no reason why you can’t continually be a positive team.

The Cardinals do it and they never have a single digit draft choice they always draft in the high teens, and yet they still have a good team over and over.

Yep.  The Cardinals really are the team that a team like the Orioles should strive to follow.  It's amazing that we have the "try and be like the Rays" crowd so strong in here. 

19 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Yep.  The Cardinals really are the team that a team like the Orioles should strive to follow.  It's amazing that we have the "try and be like the Rays" crowd so strong in here. 

I’m not sure what the Cardinals do that is different from what the Rays do, but the rays are successful in a much tougher division. Regardless, we can look back on decisions that were objectively stupid even at the time, and we can also look back on some incredibly unfortunate decisions that hurt us.

I continually harp on the basic things that we could do that we need to do that could keep us stable without ever needing any kind of a rebuild. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ah. The good old “pity us because we play in the AL East” bit, followed by “they have more money than us!” routine. 

Funny how the Rays have managed to consistently be good in the AL East since 2008 without spending like the Yankees and Red Sox.

Yes the Orioles have it harder in the AL East, but it's not an impossible task to win if you are a well run organization and have a plan like the Rays. 

• Upvote 2

I work for a fortune 100 company in Risk Management.  We spend a lot of time assessing "repetitional risk" of doing or not doing certain activities and transactions.  About time the O's started thinking about Repetitional Risk as they conduct their offseason activities.  Getting crushed on social media and mainstream media is not a good look.

40 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Goldschmidt and Arenado, total $168M payroll.

Well, it is definitely easier to be successful when you have a large bank account, but as we know too well, flinging money at players does not accomplish anything by itself. The Cardinals are not successful because they have money but because they have intelligence. The Orioles are unsuccessful not merely because they don’t spend money but because they spend money stupidly. We can only hope that that has changed.

54 minutes ago, connja said:

I work for a fortune 100 company in Risk Management.  We spend a lot of time assessing "repetitional risk" of doing or not doing certain activities and transactions.  About time the O's started thinking about Repetitional Risk as they conduct their offseason activities.  Getting crushed on social media and mainstream media is not a good look.

Intriguing. Can you say more what you see as "repetitional risk" in terms of O's offseason activities? And how that relates to media and social media perceptions? (Or is that something else, "reputational risk"?)

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Well, it is definitely easier to be successful when you have a large bank account, but as we know too well, flinging money at players does not accomplish anything by itself. The Cardinals are not successful because they have money but because they have intelligence. The Orioles are unsuccessful not merely because they don’t spend money but because they spend money stupidly. We can only hope that that has changed.

I think we can learn from any successful team. Tampa is especially interesting because they have been competitive in the AL East without high payroll.

33 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think we can learn from any successful team. Tampa is especially interesting because they have been competitive in the AL East without high payroll.

Of course, and I think Tampa is the best model to follow given the competitive division we are both in.

There will always be some unfortunate events, such as Belle or Kjested But as long as we are Focused on the plan and I’m keeping prices down without sacrificing quality, we will be fine.

Again, No extensions, no long term FA contracts, trade players at peak value, restock the pipeline.

Easy Peasy.