Cedric on the block

connja

If you took SG's trade suggestion from page 1 of this thread (which would require a little more back on Baltimore's side IMO), and sign Freddy Galvis to another short term deal, here is a rough mockup of our 2022 lineup: 

C - Adley Rutschman, 1B - Ryan Mountcastle, 2B - Ramon Urias, SS - Freddy Galvis, 3B - Brian Anderson, LF - Austin Hays, CF - Ryan McKenna, RF - DJ Stewart, DH - Trey Mancini

S1 - John Means, S2 - Grayson Rodriguez, S3 - Pablo Lopez, S4 - Max Meyer, S5 - Kyle Bradish

CL - Tyler Wells, Cole Sulser, Tanner Scott, Keegan Akin, Mike Baumann, Jorge Lopez, Dillon Tate, Felix Bautista

Bench - Jahmai Jones (OF), Jorge Mateo, SS/2B, Kelvin Gutierrez, FA Catcher

AAA Depth - D.L. Hall, Zac Lowther, Dean Kremer, Alex Wells, Bruce Zimmerman, Kyle Stowers (OF), Terrin Vavra (2B), Robert Neustrom (OF)

You could move Hays to CF once Stowers is ready, and we could always sign an OF to a 1 year deal. We could move Jones to OF and give him one last chance in a platoon with McKenna until Stowers is ready. But those are lesser matters. What matters in doing this mockup is that this is a much more competitive 2022 team than what we are currently anticipating. We go from a pitching deficit to a slight surplus, pushing starters to the bullpen or back to AAA for more development and injury depth. Our rotation and bullpen would quickly become significantly stronger. We'd miss Mullins obviously, and until Stowers arrives that's a seriously ugly outfield. But it's a better balanced roster in my opinion, and a much quicker return to winning at the ML level. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Marlins are making moves. Just signed Asivail Garcia. Rumored to be in on Chris Taylor for CF. Would they rather trade for Mullins or pay big FA bucks for Taylor?

Well that's disappointing. But my post is just for illustrative purposes anyhow.....that dealing Mullins could make a lot of sense with the right return.

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

My understanding is upon death, the inheritance (ie the assets) itself is taxed.

I know someone who has checked into this and is moving to Florida because of it. (They don’t have the tax there)

There can be two taxes due on assets distributed at time of death. The federal estate tax is the responsibility of the estate. Inheritance tax is a state tax and is the responsibility of the heirs.

The estate tax rates can run as high as 40% of the value of the estate. The last figure I have seen for the value of the Orioles franchise was $1.43 billion dollars. The federal estate tax on that amount would be over $572,000,000. Unless the O's are sitting on that much in CASH, the team would have to be sold to raise the cash to pay the estate tax. If the sons inherited the team, they would essentially be paying the estate tax because that amount would be deducted from the selling price they agreed to.

1 minute ago, panick said:

The federal estate tax on that amount would be over $572,000,000. Unless the O's are sitting on that much in CASH, the team would have to be sold to raise the cash to pay the estate tax. 

Or they could borrow against the value of the team to pay the tax if they want to retain ownership and not deplete all of their available funds.

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Or they could borrow against the value of the team to pay the tax if they want to retain ownership and not deplete all of their available funds.

And the sons would still be paying the tax. No matter where the money comes from, the tax has to be paid. And that would be a pretty heavy debt-load to be responsible for.

This has been a long-running complaint about the estate tax. The tax is calculated on the "value" of the estate. The value is not a part of the estate that can be sold off to raise the money needed for the tax. Many family-run businesses have been sold in the past just to raise the money for the tax.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Well that's disappointing. But my post is just for illustrative purposes anyhow.....that dealing Mullins could make a lot of sense with the right return.

Yes, this is the overall point.

There are a lot of teams and scenarios for Mullins to be traded.

People can’t see the forest through the trees though.  There are so many aspects of any single trade to consider and it’s not just, 5 WAR guy dealt for unknowns, therefore we can’t win now.  That’s just wrong on every level.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Marlins are making moves. Just signed Asivail Garcia. Rumored to be in on Chris Taylor for CF. Would they rather trade for Mullins or pay big FA bucks for Taylor?

Marlins can't keep up with the Mets' spending, so trading prospects for Mullins is one alternative for them.  At their respective ages and contracts, Mullins is more attractive than Marte.  Of course, they're also in the same division as the WS Champs and the Phillies.  Nats won't be competitive for at least a few more years.  Hopefully, the Marlins will continue to try.  

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

My understanding is upon death, the inheritance (ie the assets) itself is taxed.

I know someone who has checked into this and is moving to Florida because of it. (They don’t have the tax there)

Federal estate taxes (paid by the estate) apply in all 50 states.   Currently only apply to estates over $11.7 mm.   Only 6 states have an inheritance tax (paid by the recipient), while 12 states plus DC have an estate tax (paid from the estate).   Only Maryland has both.   The Maryland estate tax applies to estates of more than $5 mm.   The inheritance tax only applies to certain recipients, and excludes spouses, children, parents, siblings and grandparents/grandchildren, plus charities.   So, it’s not much of a factor for most people.   

Wondering what the next 36ish hours are going to look like from a trade perspective here.  Obviously there have been a flurry of FA signings but I'm not seeing many trades go through, if any.  Nothing notable, at least.

Curious to see what the lockout would do to a Mullins trade...no real way to tell, of course.  Depending on how long the lockout is, I could see it squashing a trade market in the offseason or there could be a flurry of trades made as soon as the lockout ends.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:39 PM, Sports Guy said:

Good.  Marlins are my first stop.

Santander and Mullins for Lopez, Meyer and Anderson.   Fair deal on each side.  

So now I’m playing with the baseballtradevalues.com values.

Mullins (66.2) + Santander (9.9) = $76.1 mm.

Lopez (57.1) + Meyer (22.2) + Anderson (11.5) = $90.8 mm

Good trade for us, bad for the Marlins, per these valuations (which, needless to say, aren’t gospel).   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So now I’m playing with the baseballtradevalues.com values.

Mullins (66.2) + Santander (9.9) = $76.1 mm.

Lopez (57.1) + Meyer (22.2) + Anderson (11.5) = $90.8 mm

Good trade for us, bad for the Marlins, per these valuations (which, needless to say, aren’t gospel).   

I honestly don't think they'd want Santander at this point.