Cedric on the block

connja

Spent some time the other night looking at other rosters and Miami, Texas, Atlanta, and San Francisco looked like the best bets for dealing Mullins. And the kind of prospects SF could deal from didn't wow me. Same with Philadelphia. Roll Tide's suggestion of Jung/Winn seems like a reach to me, but that would be a great deal.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Buxton signed a deal with the Twins.  Take another CFer off the board.

Can only help.   A few days from lockout that does I feel bring Mullins to the top of the available options for CF seekers - I think for next few years he's just plain better from here than Kiermaier, a little more attractive than Margot (who like Hays has lost CF reps to a teammate), and Laureano has the PED dings, both from a PR and wondering about future performance perspective.

Whereas for competing in 2022, as awesome as '21 Mullins was, I don't expect him to really outplay Buxton/Starling, never mind the acquisition costs being far higher in Mullins' case.

57 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Can only help.   A few days from lockout that does I feel bring Mullins to the top of the available options for CF seekers - I think for next few years he's just plain better from here than Kiermaier, a little more attractive than Margot (who like Hays has lost CF reps to a teammate), and Laureano has the PED dings, both from a PR and wondering about future performance perspective.

Whereas for competing in 2022, as awesome as '21 Mullins was, I don't expect him to really outplay Buxton/Starling, never mind the acquisition costs being far higher in Mullins' case.

One reason Cedric will outplay Buxton, in my opinion, is that he will actually start almost all of the games. Buxton has only had one season where he appeared as often as a regular should--and that was way back in 2017.

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Shrug. The Angelos brothers did the best possible thing for the long term health of the franchise by hiring Elias and Sig. Y'all are impatient as hell man.

Lol. Yea, people should just accept some bs rebuilding excuse and watch their team be a laughing stock year in and year out.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol. Yea, people should just accept some bs rebuilding excuse and watch their team be a laughing stock year in and year out.  

I think they’ve had the time to tank and now is the time to start showing some improvement. Before this rebuild we had several half hearted ones that left the organization worse off. If a few more years sets us up long term to be a consistent performer than as painful as it is I can live with it. I trust that Elias has seen it with the Astros and understands the approach. My concern with him is winning trades and starting to spend some smart money.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I think they’ve had the time to tank and now is the time to start showing some improvement. Before this rebuild we had several half hearted ones that left the organization worse off. If a few more years sets us up long term to be a consistent performer than as painful as it is I can live with it. I trust that Elias has seen it with the Astros and understands the approach. My concern with him is winning trades and starting to spend some smart money.

First of all, the Orioles are already set up long term.  

Secondly, rebuilding doesn’t guarantee success later on, despite what people on here want to make you believe.

Zero excuse to keep down this path at this point.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Shrug again. The organization is in the best place in terms of being well run with a plan in place and a great new burgeoning international effort than it has been basically ever. If folks want to be shortsighted about it I can't stop them. But I will be here shrugging extremely hard. Carry on being angry about stuff, I'll be here chilling and collecting high draft picks and building Dominican facilities and developing bespoke analytical methods and hiring the new wave of smart coaches and installing a synchronized organization wide development pipeline. 

But sure, worry about signing free agents I guess. Because that's what matters in terms of getting this franchise back on track.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Shrug again. The organization is in the best place in terms of being well run with a plan in place and a great new burgeoning international effort than it has been basically ever. If folks want to be shortsighted about it I can't stop them. But I will be here shrugging extremely hard. Carry on being angry about stuff, I'll be here chilling and collecting high draft picks and building Dominican facilities and developing bespoke analytical methods and hiring the new wave of smart coaches and installing a synchronized organization wide development pipeline. 

But sure, worry about signing free agents I guess. Because that's what matters in terms of getting this franchise back on track.

Tell me what has been done with the rebuild that couldn’t have been done if they were trying to win, outside of a high pick.

What else has been accomplished that can’t be if you are a winning team?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, the Orioles are already set up long term.  

Secondly, rebuilding doesn’t guarantee success later on, despite what people on here want to make you believe.

Zero excuse to keep down this path at this point.

I’m not saying your wrong …just giving my 2 cents. A near sale would be the only logical reason imo. But that doesn’t make it a good excuse. If the Angelos’ we’re going to sell I just don’t see the benefit of waiting for Peter to exhaust. Why not just open up the bidding now.

On 11/27/2021 at 9:28 AM, Frobby said:

I am not one of those people who vilifies ownership and assumes they have no regard for winning.   I also do not think it is in their self interest for the Orioles to have many more consecutive losing seasons.  The fan base already has deteriorated, and you can sense that even those fans who bought into the teardown/rebuild are getting antsy.   The whole idea of the extreme teardown is not to have a period of prolonged losing that resembles 1998-2011.   At some point you have to push your chips to the middle of the table.   You can debate if that time is now, but it sure ain’t 2026.

I honestly hope this is the last consideration Elias has in this rebuild. His job is to build a sustained winner. With that will come the fans. 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I’m not saying your wrong …just giving my 2 cents. A near sale would be the only logical reason imo. But that doesn’t make it a good excuse. If the Angelos’ we’re going to sell I just don’t see the benefit of waiting for Peter to exhaust. Why not just open up the bidding now.

Because if they sell now, the money goes to Peter and when he dies, the inheritance taxes have to get paid and that will be a lot of money.

If they wait until he dies and then, assuming his will leaves the team to the kids, they can sell and not worry about paying that tax.