Orioles signing Rougned Odor

Yardball85

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I can't disagree with what you're saying because your position is one that is rooted in emotion, and frankly, it is an emotion I share with you.

I'm tired of losing too.  We all are.

Also logic. If you're building a team With the complete faith and belief that your top farm system is ready to go as early as this year and then really ready in 2 years then you need a 5 year plan. Getting a 27 year old star now falls into that 5 year window. Waiting until year 3 just means you possibly lost a golden chance in there and might be forced to make a stupid trade to shore up an exposed hole that could have been filled years prior if you had a real 5 year plan (ERod as example).

It's not the losing. It's the no clear foresight to attempt to stop the losing. This team needs a SS and 3B. This team has no future prospects on the horizon (someone can emerge but I'm not holding my breath). This is an off-season to get a SS who you might not be able to get in 2 years. Get them now. If there is another target then fine, but players like Odor have no place in a big plan unless Correa is the main piece this year. You can get an Odor anytime.

Edited by Nite

4 minutes ago, Nite said:

Also logic. If you're building a team With the complete faith and belief that your top farm system is ready to go as early as this year and then really ready in 2 years then you need a 5 year plan. Getting a 27 year old star now falls into that 5 year window. Waiting until year 3 just means you possibly lost a golden chance in there and might be forced to make a stupid trade to shore up an exposed hole that could have been filled years prior if you had a real 5 year plan (ERod as example).

It's not the losing. It's the no clear foresight to attempt to stop the losing. This team needs a SS and 3B. This team has no future prospects on the horizon (someone can emerge but I'm not holding my breath). This is an off-season to get a SS who you might not be able to get in 2 years. Get them now. If there is another target then fine, but players like Odor have no place in a big plan unless Correa is the main piece this year. You can get an Odor anytime.

I don't agree with that.  That's where we divert logically.

Correa would be the kind of guy I would sign.  And if they do that I will be celebrating.  

I just don't think they have much of a chance to do that.

Just now, Pickles said:

I don't agree with that.  That's where we divert logically.

Correa would be the kind of guy I would sign.  And if they do that I will be celebrating.  

I just don't think they have much of a chance to do that.

I can't see them keeping these guys down in the minors for another season. So that means a early as this year they could be here and then making an impact in 2022. Rather have something around them from the start is all I'm saying. 

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The only FA contract I would’ve given as Orioles is EdRod 5/80. I’d give Stroman 4/80 or 5/100, but he might get that from a real team. 

I agree.  And while I would love Correa, I could see him getting something stupid.  Like 12 years $375 stupid.  Can't do that. 

1 minute ago, Nite said:

I can't see them keeping these guys down in the minors for another season. So that means a early as this year they could be here and then making an impact in 2022. Rather have something around them from the start is all I'm saying. 

No, no, no, the boys need to start coming up.  AR first.  And the rest as best for their development with no artificial salary concerns dictating the pace.

But they're not going to be good right away.  It will take a few years.  This is 2009 of the rebuild.

Just now, Pickles said:

No, no, no, the boys need to start coming up.  AR first.  And the rest as best for their development with no artificial salary concerns dictating the pace.

But they're not going to be good right away.  It will take a few years.  This is 2009 of the rebuild.

The Orioles rebuild began in 2008 give or take, right? When they traded Bedard and Tejada?  Would've been nice if our "2009" was in 2020. 

Just now, Yardball85 said:

The Orioles rebuild began in 2008 give or take, right? When they traded Bedard and Tejada?  Would've been nice if our "2009" was in 2020. 

2009 is the year Wieters came up.  And it took a couple years.

(And a couple of real slick moves by the Sweater Vest.)

47 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Odor is better than guys who got some major abs on last years team.  Thus he makes us better.  

Except those guys aren’t on the team anymore and didn’t end the year with the team…so he doesn’t make the team better that will be on the field in 2022.

BTw, it’s far from definite that he would be an improvement over those guys.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well statcast had him as well above average defensively at 2B. His bat though has been terrible for that last two years. The way he's declined, I wonder if they have his actual birth certificate because he's was an old 27 last year. Unless he was injured, his running speed has fallen off a cliff the last two years.

He led the MLB in errors as a 2B, in 2015,2016,2017,2019,and 2020.

And in 2018, and 2021 he was 4th.

Posted a negative dWAR all but two years as a pro.

And his fielding % was below league average at the position for every year as a pro except 2018.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/odorro01.shtml

26 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Right but wouldn't it make sense to have something of a functional team and future players on the roster already when they come up? 

Odor 1 year so it's just a patchwork job and another punt year. Joy...