MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So it’s productive, but what did it actually produce?   Anger and agitation?

Yea I don’t get it.  They are saying they are really far apart still.

Makes me wonder if Heyman’s info is correct.  Are they closer than what is being fed to the media?  I doubt it but they met longer yesterday than any other time and they said talks were good..yet all we hear is that they are far apart.  Something doesn’t add up.

Just now, osfan83 said:

I'd probably be OK with the league shutting down for a couple of seasons if we got some radical changes with the game. 

- Average game length under 3 hours

-Teams with similar talent levels competing against each other

-In season tournaments to hold fan interest

A few years?  Wtf?

You know what I find interesting…people seem to blame the league and the system and structure in place but never want to blame the organizations.  

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

A few years?  Wtf?

You know what I find interesting…people seem to blame the league and the system and structure in place but never want to blame the organizations.  

Oh, I blame them all. And I don't think we get any radical change until there is a lot of pain for everyone. Players lose multiple years of a paycheck, owners see franchise values drop by 20%. That's when you will see both sides really looking hard at improving the currently very flawed product. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As I said before, this whole thing is very simple….

I reiterate.  I don’t get how anyone is on the owners side here.

I have been frustrated at times with the players over the years. The media in general always protects them. 

This is all on the owners. What are they giving up of any substance? You are coming off a 60 game no fan season and last year was not normal either. The timing is never good for something like this but it is horrible now. 

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I have been frustrated at times with the players over the years. The media in general always protects them. 

This is all on the owners. What are they giving up of any substance? You are coming off a 60 game no fan season and last year was not normal either. The timing is never good for something like this but it is horrible now. 

Why?  Because they are greedy. 

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why?  Because they are greedy. 

I know. I’m really ticked off at the Orioles for a variety of reasons I mentioned in the other post. That said I was really looking forward to Opening Day this year. Just a sense of normalcy. These fools want to ruin it. 

I know most everyone wants expanded playoffs, but I don't.  I don't even like the wild cards, though I get the reasons behind it.  In my mind a 162 team season is more than sufficient to determine who the best teams are, we don't need to expand the playoffs further and allow inferior overall teams to get hot and win a World Series.  I know I'm being the old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn, but I've never liked them expanding the playoffs, even when I was one of those kids.  🙂  I know it's going to happen as the money is too great for it not to take place, but I really don't like it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

I know most everyone wants expanded playoffs, but I don't.  I don't even like the wild cards, though I get the reasons behind it.  In my mind a 162 team season is more than sufficient to determine who the best teams are, we don't need to expand the playoffs further and allow inferior overall teams to get hot and win a World Series.  I know I'm being the old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn, but I've never liked them expanding the playoffs, even when I was one of those kids.  🙂  I know it's going to happen as the money is too great for it not to take place, but I really don't like it.

I hear what you are saying but it is inevitable. Just protect the best records is all I ask. If they go to a plan like I proposed only the 3 seed loses anything. At least they get to play a team that had to burn a pitcher. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw and while I don’t think this happens, they should go to more playoff teams but go to 154 games or something like that.  Shorten the regular season some to lengthen the postseason.

Im all for that.

I would also get rid of divisions and inter league play as well.

I'm all for shortening the regular season to 154 games IF, this means the playoffs start earlier, not if they just give more off days during the season.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I don’t get it.  They are saying they are really far apart still.

Makes me wonder if Heyman’s info is correct.  Are they closer than what is being fed to the media?  I doubt it but they met longer yesterday than any other time and they said talks were good..yet all we hear is that they are far apart.  Something doesn’t add up.

I think Heyman is setting it up for the owners to blame the players when they don’t come to agreement today. 

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm all for shortening the regular season to 154 games IF, this means the playoffs start earlier, not if they just give more off days during the season.

Right.  That would have to be the caveat there.  I would hope to start the playoffs before October 1.  Start that last week of Sept Or so.

Really, I would be happy with starting the playoffs in early to mid September and having them done by mid to late Oct.  

To me, that would be optimal.  Move the trade deadline back to like June 30.  Short the season by 20 or so games.