Will Jacob Nottingham be on our Opening Day roster?

Frobby

There’s a thread over on the MiL forum, which some posters may not have seen, reporting that the O’s have signed FA catcher Jacob Nottingham to a minor league deal.   Nottingham, a 2013 6th round pick by Mike Elias and the Astros, has played in 53 major league games spread over four seasons, hitting .184/.277/.421.   As a minor leaguer, Nottingham has hit .253/.330/.409, including .250/.326/.421 in AAA.  So, I’d say there’s hope for a better BA and OBP than he has exhibited in the majors in his brief stints there.   

Before the 2021 season, here’s what BP had to say: 
“Even the meanest foul tip to the mask won't leave one as reliably whiplashed or confused as trying to pin down Nottingham's ever-moving reputation as a prospect. Initially, he was a bat-first catcher, unlikely even to stick at that spot. Then, he and Brewers field coordinator and catching instructor Charlie Greene worked tirelessly together until he emerged as a solid defender—but suddenly, one without adequate punch. Now, there's some evidence that he's finding the (modestly) happy medium, He still has swing-and-miss issues at the plate and occasional lapses behind it, but he projects as a solid backup with positive tactical value.”  https://www.baseballprospectus.com/player/102700/jacob-nottingham/

In ‘21, he bounced between the Brewers and Mariners a couple of times, got outrighted to AAA, then got hurt with an “undisclosed injury” and didn’t play after being outrighted.   The Mariners released him a few weeks before the season ended.   

So, will this guy be on our 2022 opening day roster?  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=nottin000jac

• Upvote 1

Could be, his OPS is .698 in 113 career at bats despite his .184 batting average. And Baseball Reference has a better then (what I) expected projection for Nottingham in 2022 a .723 OPS and 10 home runs in 211 at bats. 

If Nottingham is capable is hitting that well as a backup catcher then he has a chance to make the team. As long as his defense is good enough, I don't mine having Nottingham as one of the candidates to be AR's backup catcher in 2022. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There’s a thread over on the MiL forum, which some posters may not have seen, reporting that the O’s have signed FA catcher Jacob Nottingham to a minor league deal.   Nottingham, a 2013 6th round pick by Mike Elias and the Astros, has played in 53 major league games spread over four seasons, hitting .184/.277/.421.   As a minor leaguer, Nottingham has hit .253/.330/.409, including .250/.326/.421 in AAA.  So, I’d say there’s hope for a better BA and OBP than he has exhibited in the majors in his brief stints there.   

Before the 2021 season, here’s what BP had to say: 
“Even the meanest foul tip to the mask won't leave one as reliably whiplashed or confused as trying to pin down Nottingham's ever-moving reputation as a prospect. Initially, he was a bat-first catcher, unlikely even to stick at that spot. Then, he and Brewers field coordinator and catching instructor Charlie Greene worked tirelessly together until he emerged as a solid defender—but suddenly, one without adequate punch. Now, there's some evidence that he's finding the (modestly) happy medium, He still has swing-and-miss issues at the plate and occasional lapses behind it, but he projects as a solid backup with positive tactical value.”  https://www.baseballprospectus.com/player/102700/jacob-nottingham/

In ‘21, he bounced between the Brewers and Mariners a couple of times, got outrighted to AAA, then got hurt with an “undisclosed injury” and didn’t play after being outrighted.   The Mariners released him a few weeks before the season ended.   

So, will this guy be on our 2022 opening day roster?  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=nottin000jac

Sounds a bit like Caleb Joseph's path to Baltimore

• Upvote 1

I like that he’s been able to improve both offensively and defensively. He threw out 40% of runners in the minors one year. Became average to above defensively. Then on offense he cut down on his Ks and started to hit the ball in the air more. I’ve read that he has plus raw power but needs to tap into that better during games. 

Seems like a good pickup to be a backup to AR. I like that he’s been in pro ball for 8 years, and been with 4 organizations now. So he’s seen some stuff, and had to overcome so adversity. 

MLBTR has just put out a “What’s left on the Catching Market” article and below is the link to that article. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/whats-left-in-the-offseason-catching-market.html

Suzuki and Romine seem interesting if they would take a milb deal. Honestly, I could see us going back to Wynns. Especially if the CBA makes it so we will keep AR down for a few weeks. We could roll with Wynns and Nottingham to start the season, then DFA Wynns and stash him in AAA/AA. 

I was thinking they'd go veteran to start the offseason, but with Nottingham in the picture now, he seems like a guy that Elias is going to at least give a chance to earn a big league job. Given he's out of options, I don't see him breaking camp with the club just to be DFA'ed a couple weeks later when Adley is promoted (assuming he starts the year in the minors, pending CBA).

I'm not sure they give him a job right out, but I don't think they're going to have him fight just to earn a job for a couple weeks to then be DFA'ed. I think he either gets a job out of spring training or starts in AAA. 

That said, I think a reunion with Wynns is who they'd pair with Adley and Nottingham. I could potentially also see someone like Mathis signed after the lockout if it looks like Adley will still start the year in AAA. Mathis is a vet, obviously, but he'll play this coming season at 39 and only got in 3 games in 2021. He seems like a guy that would be brought in to camp to be a de facto coach while given a chance to hold on. 

Without looking it up, I am going to guess Nottingham wins the head-to-head against Wynns on pedigree, minor league performance record and Mike Elias being who drafted him.   So assuming the CBA protects our 6.x years of Adley if we have to do the few weeks thing, and remembering the Rio Ruiz run given, I believe he will make the Opening Day roster, and his April might even look like Gutierrez's August/September.