What are your expectations and hopes for Anthony Santander this season?

Frobby

I think it's reasonable to HOPE for an .850 OPS. He's a talented guy who is never healthy, so I don't expect anything close to that.

This guy is the typical guy that traps a team into keeping him, only to trade him right before he blows up. If you told me in 5 years that he started hitting 30 hrs annually while maintaining a .260-.270 BA, I wouldn't be shocked. But how long do you wait?

Santander has started about 60% of the O's games over the last three years.  That is about 97 games in a 162 game season.   However he has played hurt in many games which affected his production. 

I would be happy if he could play half the O's games next season healthy and put up an 850 OPS.   With Stowers likely in the majors for the last two thirds of the season that may be possibly depending on when Santander is hurt.  

One of the biggest problems for the team is that Santander and Hays are both injury prone so they could both be hurt at the same time.   I think in addition to Stowers we have to hope the Neustrom makes it through the Rule 5 draft unclaimed and improves enough to be helpful during the season.

Stewart probably in Santanders back up for the first third of the season.  So far McKenna is only a defensive backup and does not hit enough to be an offensive back up for Santander.

JMO

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think in addition to Stowers we have to hope the Neustrom makes it through the Rule 5 draft unclaimed and improve enough to be helpful during the season.

Off topic, but it feels like you haven't read what Tony wrote about Neustrom. He profiles as a platoon guy/pinch hitter at best. Might be a better fit in the NL if they don't have a DH.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think it's reasonable to HOPE for an .850 OPS. He's a talented guy who is never healthy, so I don't expect anything close to that.

This guy is the typical guy that traps a team into keeping him, only to trade him right before he blows up. If you told me in 5 years that he started hitting 30 hrs annually while maintaining a .260-.270 BA, I wouldn't be shocked. But how long do you wait?

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Santander has started about 60% of the O's games over the last three years.  That is about 97 games in a 162 game season.   However he has played hurt in many games which affected his production. 

I would be happy if he could play half they games next season healthy and put up an 850 OPS.   With Stowers likely in the majors for the last two thirds of the season that may be possibly depending on when Santander is hurt.  

One of the biggest problems for the team is that Santander and Hays are both injury prone so they could both be hurt at the same time.   I think in addition to Stowers we have to hope the Neustrom makes it through the Rule 5 draft unclaimed and improve enough to be helpful during the season.

Stewart probably in Santanders back up for the first third of the season.  So far McKenna is only a defensive backup and does not hit enough to be an offensive back up for Santander.

JMO

Where are you guys coming up with .850? 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Guys don't generally get healthier as they age. 

I think Elias missed his chance to get the best possible return.

I also don't think Santander is a piece on the next winning team. 

I agree, I don't think he is either.  Same with Hays.  Mullins, IMO, is 50/50.

What are we betting he drafts a college outfield bat in the next draft?

Anyway, I don't believe Santander has much trade value.  I hope he's moved though.  

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I guess.  I mean, token small sample size comment, etc.  

There's nothing that suggests he can maintain that over a full season.  He can get red hot at times and I hope that he's red hot from the start of the season to the trading deadline.  

Yeah. I don't disagree at all. I distinguished between hope and expect in my post. Guys have career years. I absolutely think Santander can do that, or better, in a career year. He can really hit for power.

• Upvote 1

If the new CBA includes NL DH then I could see Santander or Mancini traded. However, I think Mancini DH’s thru the trade deadline. Santander plays RF. At that time, Stowers takes over in RF, and Santander DHs, unless Santander plays his way to being traded as well. 

I like Santander. I just see him being a spare/expensive part considering Stowers is real close. 

I hope Santander puts up .750+ OPS in the first half. I think he would greatly benefit from having days off, and DH’ing some. We should try and keep him healthy.