Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

On 1/13/2022 at 12:53 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

Nobody with three functioning brain cells changes significant parts of ballpark architecture based on the current team and opponent's makeup.  Maybe 75 years ago with Greenberg Gardens, but that didn't work.  I don't think I've ever heard of a team messing with fences and having it definitively impact a team's on-field performance in any way.

You are right to some extent about changing the ballpark.   But you can't say that the ballpark doesn't necessarily have a big impact on team construction.   Last year the Yankees were absolutely desperate to trade for LH hitting because they had a heavy RH lineup in a ballpark that strongly favors LH hitters.    Yes, their fault for constructing the team the way they did, but they absolutely had to adjust to compete.

So clearly the ballpark design does have an impact on how you have to construct your team in some cases, and it follows that changing the ballpark layout significantly has to have an impact as well.  So I don't think the idea that there is some synergy between this change, and how Elias/Mejdal are trying to put together a team, is all that far fetched.

By the way, I was in Yankee Stadium for the Pinstripe Bowl and seeing it in person I was absolutely shocked at how short that RF porch is.  TV didn't do it justice.   I was sitting in seats that might be equivalent to section 230 or so at Oriole Park,  and the distance to the foul pole was ridiculously short, felt like it was right on top of the field.   And the RF power alley was super close looking.   And of course unlike RF at OPACY or Philly, or LF at Fenway, the seats out there are at field level.   Seeing it in person, it was far more extreme than I ever dreamed it was from TV.

Melewski has a recap of the Elias/Mejdal interview up.   Here’s a quote from Elias:

[Elias] added that changes were not made with the current roster or any acquisitions in mind. But Elias does feel making the park play more fair for all pitchers could help the club in pursuing free agent pitchers.

“It’s definitely a significant factor in our move to do this,” said Elias. “We still expect that this will remain somewhat of a hitter’s park and we like that about Camden Yards. But the conditions here have been very extreme, toward the very most extreme in the league. It’s not a secret, it’s been the case for decades. And part of having a winning program is the ability to recruit free agent pitchers and that has been a historical challenge for this franchise. There is just no way around that. I do think this will help going forward.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2022/01/os-mike-elias-on-the-outfield-changes-at-oriole-park.html

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Melewski has a recap of the Elias/Mejdal interview up.   Here’s a quote from Elias:

[Elias] added that changes were not made with the current roster or any acquisitions in mind. But Elias does feel making the park play more fair for all pitchers could help the club in pursuing free agent pitchers.

“It’s definitely a significant factor in our move to do this,” said Elias. “We still expect that this will remain somewhat of a hitter’s park and we like that about Camden Yards. But the conditions here have been very extreme, toward the very most extreme in the league. It’s not a secret, it’s been the case for decades. And part of having a winning program is the ability to recruit free agent pitchers and that has been a historical challenge for this franchise. There is just no way around that. I do think this will help going forward.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2022/01/os-mike-elias-on-the-outfield-changes-at-oriole-park.html

OOTPB 19, which has park ratings for every stadium list HR's for Camden Yards to be 1.060 for RHB and 1.150 for LHB. Which means the Orioles right field is still extreme to use Elias words. 1.000 in the game is average. 

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

For some reason im remembering that one barely clearing the wall. If that was the game ending GS. 

Yeah, I guess you are right.   I just looked up a video and it was 3 or 4 rows in.

I was sitting in the front row of Section 360 down the 3B line, so that HR went soaring by me on its way to the LF seats, and in my memory it was majestic and went a lot further.

Not the first time my memory has been proven wrong by pesky facts.   You are correct.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, I guess you are right.   I just looked up a video and it was 3 or 4 rows in.

I was sitting in the front row of Section 360 down the 3B line, so that HR went soaring by me on its way to the LF seats, and in my memory it was majestic and went a lot further.

Not the first time my memory has been proven wrong by pesky facts.   You are correct.

Sorry if I ruined the memory for you. I wasnt even there. Saw it on TV once or twice though. It was likely a Camden Yards HR that may not make it out anywhere else.