O's players that have nothing more to prove at AAA.

wildcard

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Re: the opening post, I disagree with this idea that those guys have nothing left to prove in AAA. That idea makes assumptions based on SSS and without any knowledge of what the O's think does or doesn't need to be improved.

I'm not arguing that several of those guys couldn't help the O's on opening day. I'm sure they could. But if the O's want Bradish to put extra work in on a secondary pitch or actually want to see if McKenna can hit AAA over a larger sample (likely they'd actually care less about his stats and instead want to see if he can implement swing adjustments that would indicate higher probability of ML success), that would make sense to me.

I just think it's a naïve OP in the context that it's in. 

If you had read the OP instead of just the title you would see that I said Bradish is close but I would actually like to see him do more at AAA.   I guess I was naive to think you would actually read the OP.

Considering that the O's will need speed in center and left, McKenna can be valuable backuping up both.  And unless  the O's   go out and get another speeding backup the O's have a place for McKenna.   But if they go get a speeding backup then they block McKenna in his development.   Doesn't sound like what  Elias is trying to do at all.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If you had read the OP instead of just the title you would see that I said Bradish is close but I would actually like to see him do more at AAA.   I guess I was naive to think you would actually read the OP.

Considering that the O's will need speed in center and left, McKenna can be valuable backuping up both.  And unless  the O's   go out and get another speeding backup the O's have a place for McKenna.   But if they go get a speeding backup then they block McKenna in his development.   Doesn't sound like what  Elias is trying to do at all.

Shake a tree and three speedy back-up outfielders fall out.   They’re very easy to find.   Speedy back-up outfielders who can hit a little are harder.  McKenna really needs to show us he can hit a little this year.   By “a little” I mean .675 OPS or better.  .559 isn’t close to good enough.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Shake a tree and three speedy back-up outfielders fall out.   They’re very easy to find.   Speedy back-up outfielders who can hit a little are harder.  McKenna really needs to show us he can hit a little this year.   By “a little” I mean .675 OPS or better.  .559 isn’t close to good enough.   

Yes and my bet is that Elias/Hyde give him the chance to do that.   I would expect them to have him work on his swing and swing decisions with Fuller this spring.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Yes and my bet is that Elias/Hyde give him the chance to do that.   I would expect them to have him work on his swing and swing decisions with Fuller this spring.

His swing decisions seem pretty good, judging by his walk rate.   But he may need to make them sooner.   

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

I read the OP and don't disagree with your general observations about the players. I do disagree with the nothing left to prove framing of it though. I think it only makes sense if you're comfortable with what they are and don't have a focused plan to work through their issues.

I think McKenna is the perfect example, and Frobby's post articulated why. If they've concluded he'll never hit enough, sure put him in the majors. Let him be the 26th guy on the roster and give us a few innings. But that's only a good strategy if you've already made that conclusion.

You could make the case that those guys have crossed the minimum threshold to come to the majors. I just think that's a long ways away from nothing left to prove. Only if what you're proving is you can be on the bottom of the roster of one of the worst teams in baseball.

I think the O's are content to have McKenna fill the 4th OF position.  Could he use more development-yes.  Could the O's use a better 4th OF because of the propensity of Hays and Santander to get hurt-yes.  The O's don't want to block the development of any OF in the minors by signing another "better" 4th OF and they don't want to slow down the ability of minor league OF like Stowers to take a spot at the minor league level.   I believe the O's see McKenna as filler and think that Stowers, Cowser and others will be better when they get to the majors and make McKenna expendable.