Let's discuss RHP Bryan Baker

Tony-OH

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What to make of Baker?  He’s the definition of hit or miss. Throws 98-99, with a nasty change up. 

He doesn’t get outs by luck. When he’s on he looks like a top reliever in the game.  He looked that way last night  

Is it the delivery that makes him inconsistent?  He appears to fall off the mound at times. 

He’s not ready for prime time now but he’s got a chance to be very good.  His fastball command is very inconsistent but his overall stuff looks good and getting better.  Both the slider and change look good at times.  Almost tempting to try converting him to starter.

I almost suggested keeping Louis Head and sending Baker down.  Head showed the kind of poise you’d like to eventually see from Baker, who doesn’t look completely confident on the mound.

Baker had Bichette 0 and 2 the other night and couldn’t elevate the fastball for the chase pitch.  Instead it’s waist high and RF fly ball home run.  He’s got the stuff but he’s not fully “Baked” yet.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

He’s not ready for prime time now but he’s got a chance to be very good.  His fastball command is very inconsistent but his overall stuff looks good and getting better.  Both the slider and change look good at times.  Almost tempting to try converting him to starter.

I almost suggested keeping Louis Head and sending Baker down.  Head showed the kind of poise you’d like to eventually see from Baker, who doesn’t look completely confident on the mound.

Baker had Bichette 0 and 2 the other night and couldn’t elevate the fastball for the chase pitch.  Instead it’s waist high and RF fly ball home run.  He’s got the stuff but he’s not fully “Baked” yet.

I do feel like Baker is very similar to when we acquired Brach. Brach just put it all together in AAA then dominated from day 1. 

I agree that I don’t want Baker in with a lead or a tied game, but this dude is just straight filthy when he’s on. Gotta have a quick hook with him. 

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Great outing by Baker today, striking out 5 of the six batters he faced, including Aaron Judge on a 99 mph fastball at the top of the zone.  He’s really grown on me in the last 4-6 weeks.   

His stuff seems to tick up a bit more when he is put in high leverage situations.  If he can zone in his emotions and harness those situations he can be a very good set up man imo.  

• 7 months later...

He has been about as you can be for May.  9 1/3 innings pitched with 23 base runners for the month.  Hyde has went to him a few times in games and has had to get someone else in to clean up his mess.   I really was expecting a breakout type year but he is at point that maybe he needs to go down and try to figure things out.  You can’t keep sending him out there and him not even be able to get you some outs in games with big lead.  

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

He has been about as you can be for May.  9 1/3 innings pitched with 23 base runners for the month.  Hyde has went to him a few times in games and has had to get someone else in to clean up his mess.   I really was expecting a breakout type year but he is at point that maybe he needs to go down and try to figure things out.  You can’t keep sending him out there and him not even be able to get you some outs in games with big lead.  

That leadoff walk really ticked me off.  Inexcusable to walk the no. 8 hitter with a 5 run lead.