Who will be in the O's pen?

wildcard

I’m looking at this pen from last year — 38 different relievers, 17 of whom pitched 10+ innings in relief.   Of those 17, only Sulser had an ERA under 4.00.   Only Wells, Tate and Diplan were under 5.00.    Diplan isn’t mentioned in the OP but he might have a shot.   He’s nothing special but at least he wasn’t awful.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is more to my Tampa obsession than one aspect of the their relievers.

Yes, we’re aware.   

What I expect Elias to do is adopt best practices from other good teams and come up with some of his own, all adapted for the Orioles’ personnel and budget.  I don’t expect him to slavishly follow what any other one team does.  I do like many things Tampa does and expect Elias will do something similar in various areas.   

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Philip said:

Sure. Your comment doesn’t refute or even address mine, which was just about the typical idle speculation that happens in the off months. Any Fool knows that a good BP is important. The question is whether the fools in Oriole Management 1) would recognize a good BP if it hit them on the butt, and 2) know that a rotation is important, too.

Im not sure we are following Tampa’s model BTW. Their plan is to trade guys at peak value and restock their pipeline. We don’t have anyone at peak value except perhaps Means and we have no idea whether he was being actively shopped before the lockout, so it’s too soon to say.

Why do always have to be condescending to other posters.  I get that you are smarter than everyone.  Not everyone has 24/7 to be on here researching baseball. 

11 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Why do always have to be condescending to other posters.  I get that you are smarter than everyone.  Not everyone has 24/7 to be on here researching baseball. 

I’m not being condescending and I have never assumed I know more than others. On the contrary I am constantly asking.
There is no purpose to your comment because it doesn’t respond to something I did.

If for your own reasons you dislike what I say, you’re welcome to ignore me. That would give you a happy life.

The bullpen is still super underrated by most fans.  This has nothing to do with Tampa, even if WC wants to make it that way.

The assumption by fans is that building a good pen is easy.  That’s a really poor assumption.

Another assumption is, player X is a failed starter but he will be a good reliever.  I think it’s the right thought in terms of that’s what you try but wrong to assume it will happen.

You need at least 3 really good relievers….and maybe 4 with the way the game is going.  Right now, we have zero.

I know people may point to Sulser or Wells but you can’t..not yet.  There is no long term sustainability there as of yet.  There is no real sample size to say they can be really good.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2022 at 1:23 PM, Sports Guy said:

There is no long term sustainability there as of yet.  There is no real sample size to say they can be really good.  

Relievers are notoriously erratic in their year-to-year performance.  Finding some that are relatively consistent is a challenge.  Having said that, I agree with you that having a dependable bullpen is getting more and more important given the current state of starting pitching usage throughout American baseball.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:34 AM, Philip said:

Ah, we gotta talk about something, I guess.

I wonder if they still want Lopez to start?

Unless they’ve given up on Alex Wells/Akin, they have to be in the rotation. Too many potential starters need innings for Tyler Wells, at least for now, so he is for the pen.

I think Fry has lost it and he gets DFA-Ed, but I’d love to be wrong.

Would love to see a Scott trade but he demonstrated his trade value(small) last summer.

Small Sample Sie, but Lopez seemed very comfortable-and good-in the pen last year.  I don't think he has any value as a starter. 

On 1/30/2022 at 1:23 PM, Sports Guy said:

The bullpen is still super underrated by most fans.  This has nothing to do with Tampa, even if WC wants to make it that way.

The assumption by fans is that building a good pen is easy.  That’s a really poor assumption.

Another assumption is, player X is a failed starter but he will be a good reliever.  I think it’s the right thought in terms of that’s what you try but wrong to assume it will happen.

You need at least 3 really good relievers….and maybe 4 with the way the game is going.  Right now, we have zero.

I know people may point to Sulser or Wells but you can’t..not yet.  There is no long term sustainability there as of yet.  There is no real sample size to say they can be really good.  

I agree, and I think it is particularly true of O's fans because we managed to build an elite bullpen in 2012-16 with scrap heap guys and failed starters. That's not going to happen every time.