The Athletic: First Moves AL Teams Should Make After Lockout Ends

connja

Good laugh from Jim Bowden

https://theathletic.com/3112423/2022/02/08/bowden-the-first-move-each-al-team-should-make-when-the-lockout-ends/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Baltimore Orioles

Offseason needs: pitching, INF, left-handed hitting, C

Biggest moves pre-lockout: Signed 2B Rougned Odor and RHP Jordan Lyles(pending physical)

First move they should make post-lockout: Sign LHP Carlos Rodón to one-year, $20 million deal

The Orioles should sign Rodón to a one-year, $20 million “pillow” contract, pending medicals, with the idea that if he has a strong first half, they could trade him for prospects at the deadline to help their rebuild. When healthy, Rodón can be dominant, and if all goes well, the Orioles could get a haul in a deal for the lefty.

1 hour ago, connja said:

Good laugh from Jim Bowden

https://theathletic.com/3112423/2022/02/08/bowden-the-first-move-each-al-team-should-make-when-the-lockout-ends/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Baltimore Orioles

Offseason needs: pitching, INF, left-handed hitting, C

Biggest moves pre-lockout: Signed 2B Rougned Odor and RHP Jordan Lyles(pending physical)

First move they should make post-lockout: Sign LHP Carlos Rodón to one-year, $20 million deal

The Orioles should sign Rodón to a one-year, $20 million “pillow” contract, pending medicals, with the idea that if he has a strong first half, they could trade him for prospects at the deadline to help their rebuild. When healthy, Rodón can be dominant, and if all goes well, the Orioles could get a haul in a deal for the lefty.

That's not the dumbest idea he's ever had. $15 million and I would be happy as a fan. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I feel like at least one team with an actual chance of contending this year would offer Rodon a comparable deal if he is unable to find the multi-year deal he has said to be looking for.

That is the most likely scenario with Rodon. The Orioles if they do target a free agent starter are more likely to get an Alex Cobb type pitcher who doesn’t have a better option. 

I don’t know if it can be done, but I’d like to see the Orioles land an under the radar type like Miguel Gonzalez or Wei-Yin Chen. 

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That is the most likely scenario with Rodon. The Orioles if they do target a free agent starter are more likely to get an Alex Cobb type pitcher who doesn’t have a better option. 

I don’t know if it can be done, but I’d like to see the Orioles land an under the radar type like Miguel Gonzalez or Wei-Yin Chen. 

Man, WYC was such a lightning-in-a-bottle move, ~$5 million a year for a solid mid-rotation SP. Our luck with FA pitchers has been so bad for so long that it's still kind of hard to believe that deal worked out as well as it did for us.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Man, WYC was such a lightning-in-a-bottle move, ~$5 million a year for a solid mid-rotation SP. Our luck with FA pitchers has been so bad for so long that it's still kind of hard to believe that deal worked out as well as it did for us.

And they even snagged a first round pick when he walked.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

In the RL scenario, Rodon gets hurt in early May, returns but is ineffective.  The O's trade him before the deadline for a PTBNL and pick up most of his remaining salary.  The PTBNL ends up being a 25 year old utility player in High A.

4 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He and Miguel Gonzalez (7.3 rWAR over 4 seasons at ~$5M total) in the same offseason is pretty incredible.

12 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I feel like at least one team with an actual chance of contending this year would offer Rodon a comparable deal if he is unable to find the multi-year deal he has said to be looking for.

Yeah, it's a case of if everything were the same between our offer and another teams, why would you come to Baltimore?

Wait, I know!  New left field fence design!

12 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

WYC and Miguel Gonzalez were fantastic.   I agree they were lightning in the bottle types and I don't know if we can replicate anything like that again.  I'm not sure if Duquette had a genius streak in him, but if he did, it had to be that...picking up two guys that weren't totally sought after by other teams and having them do well here.