What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Adley Rutschman?

Frobby

What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Adley Rutschman?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Adley Rutschman?

• .880 or higher
    • .840 - .879
    • .800 - .839
    • .760 - .799
    • .720 - .759
    • Under .720

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/28/22 at 22:08

Victor Martinez didn't get a regular gig until he was 25, and managed a 125 OPS+ (.850 OPS in the 2004 AL).

He hadn't occurred to me previously while doing all the various Wieters-Posey type daydreams, but the switch-hitting and contact skills feel like maybe offensively he is best stylistic fit among recent awesome catchers of the type of bat I hope Rutschman can be.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Victor Martinez didn't get a regular gig until he was 25, and managed a 125 OPS+ (.850 OPS in the 2004 AL).

He hadn't occurred to me previously while doing all the various Wieters-Posey type daydreams, but the switch-hitting and contact skills feel like maybe offensively he is best stylistic fit among recent awesome catchers of the type of bat I hope Rutschman can be.

I’m trying to keep my expectations in check with Rutschman, and now I have visions of him playing gold glove defense while hitting like prime Victor Martinez. 😛

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m trying to keep my expectations in check with Rutschman, and now I have visions of him playing gold glove defense while hitting like prime Victor Martinez. 😛

As a lefty hitter, he batted .240/.359/.431/.790 in 225 at-bats. As a right-handed batter, he posted the impressive line of .371/.494/.757/1.251 in 70 plate appearances.

Those are huge R/L splits.  Have his splits always been large?  Maybe he should give up switch hitting like Mullins did.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, survivedc said:

There was some talk about framing earlier in this thread, I’m more interested in not seeing multiple balls go through the catcher’s legs each game.

This gets a bit overplayed at times.  The team allowed 13 passed balls and 88 wild pitches last year.   That is not multiple balls getting through the catcher’s legs each game.   It is significantly worse than MLB average (12 PB and 62 WP), but the issue shouldn’t be overstated.   

• 7 months later...
On 2/14/2022 at 5:25 PM, Just Regular said:

Sorry, Victor - Adley got you 128-125.

It was new to me this season hearing Anthony Santander's growing up story that Victor Martinez was a ballplayer his kid self admired.

No Orioles connection, but boy would Victor be a fun spring guest.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nearly 42% correctly put Rutschman (.806) in the .800-.840 band, with most others guessing below that.   So I’d say Adley met or exceeded expectations.  

He certainly exceed my expectations.  He's the HOF catcher many predicted him to be.