Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

6 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Tatis is hurt.  Again.  Broken wrist and out 3 months.  Maybe 9 figure deals to SS are a bad idea.  

Especially ones who have already missed significant time with injuries in 3 of their 7 MLB seasons like a certain former Astro... 

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Hahaha I can’t believe I fell for the fake account. I was so excited and didn’t question. 

All good, these things happen  :gallden:

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Only the Orioles could move back their LF wall, make a guy like Correa a mega deal only to have it turned down because said outfield wall would hinder home run production.  

Only this ****ing piece of **** team.  

"But hey, more doubles and triples!"

In other "news," it's rumored that the Commissioner agreed to slow down negotiations with the union in order to give the Orioles time to complete the outfield renovations -- because, you know, he has such a warm and close relationship with the Angelos family.

41 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I'm assuming that "another infielder" would be a third baseman since Kelvin Gutierrez is the current odds on favorite to be the opening day option at 3rd baseman with the current members in camp.  

Now with Westburg, Henderson, Ortiz about year or so away, they really could use a one year option. The problem is, that guy is not really out there. 

That leaves the door wide open for Rylan Bannon or Patrick Dorrian to get a chance this season. Gutierrez and Dorrian might make a decent platoon, but Gutierrez is the best defensively of all three so right now it looks like him unless his offense is a zero.

Gutierrez is one of the most extreme groundball hitters you will see in the majors so I'm guessing they've been working on him to hit the ball on more on a line with lift. It'll be interesting to see what he looks like.

• Upvote 1

The best news the Orioles could have here is that Correa signs with the Astros for a one year contract. This would allow them another year to see if they think Henderson, Westburg or Ortiz can be an everyday major league SS. There are defensive concerns with both Henderson and Westburg at SS and Ortiz needs to prove it with the bat over a full season. 

So if they access all three are not the option, maybe the Orioles will be more inclined to give a big offer to Correa in 2022-23 off season. If one of those three step up, then you save that money for pitching.

So, the Braves just gave up a huge package of players to get Matt Olson. They dealt their top 2 guys and 4 of their top 14.

This indicates that Freeman is likely headed to LA or NY.

What is interesting to me is that the Braves didn’t want to go the 6th year for Freeman so they gave up a lot to get Olson.  I’m guessing they don’t really love guys like Pache and are willing to give up the hype guys.  

Also, if NY is out on Correa, it could also mean that the Dodgers will be too if they get Freeman.  I’m guessing Freeman to the Yanks is imminent but the Dodgers getting him would be good.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, the Braves just gave up a huge package of players to get Matt Olson. They dealt their top 2 guys and 4 of their top 14.

What is interesting to me is that the Braves didn’t want to go the 6th year for Freeman so they gave up a lot to get Olson.  I’m guessing they don’t really love guys like Pache and are willing to give up the hype guys.  

Also, if NY is out on Correa, it could also mean that the Dodgers will be too if they get Freeman.  I’m guessing Freeman to the Yanks is imminent but the Dodgers getting him would be good.

Man, that sucks for Braves fans. Olson is great and the overall production will likely be pretty comparable but imagine losing Cal in like 1996 over 1 year of a long-term deal. Ugh.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

From what I remember, I think Pache is elite with the glove but there were concerns about the bat.  That's a big package to give up for a first baseman but he turns 28 later this month so they'll have him for his prime.