Free agency thread

Sports Guy

55 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get it.  They aren’t coming off an 85 win season, how dare they sign anyone to anything but a MiL contract!  This is going to kill their chances of winning in 2024!

You literally two days ago were crapping on the idea of signing Grienke in Baltimore.

Now someone else does it, and it's an excuse to criticitze the O's for not doing.

Gee, it's almost like no matter what they do, you would b and moan about it.

I guess I'm just too stupid and moronic to understand the complexities of SG.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You literally two days ago were crapping on the idea of signing Grienke in Baltimore.

Now someone else does it, and it's an excuse to criticitze the O's for not doing.

I'm inclined to agree with you since SG isn't criticizing the O's for not signing Grienke.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I’m just making the general point.  KC has actually made a lot of questionable signings and this is another one.

That being said, they brought up their top pitching prospect last year.  Witt will be up soon if not immediately.  They are trying to add some vets around these guys to try and start winning some games.

I don’t personally agree with the players but I agree with the principle behind it.

That said, I also didn’t like Greinke in our division and our park.  He makes more sense in a crappy division and better pitchers park.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm inclined to agree with you since SG isn't criticizing the O's for not signing Grienke.

He's mocking the Orioles using the signing of Grienke as a cudgel- despite two days ago calling the idea of signing Grienke "moronic."  Or "idiotic."  Or one of his other two adjectives.

Maybe you could explain it.  You're obviously very, very smart.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m just making the general point.  KC has actually made a lot of questionable signings and this is another one.

That being said, they brought up their top pitching prospect last year.  Witt will be up soon if not immediately.  They are trying to add some vets around these guys to try and start winning some games.

I don’t personally agree with the players but I agree with the principle behind it.

That said, I also didn’t like Greinke in our division and our park.  He makes more sense in a crappy division and better pitchers park.

Uh, the specific players are kind of the important part of that whole player acquisition thing.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He's mocking the Orioles using the signing of Grienke as a cudgel- despite two days ago calling the idea of signing Grienke "moronic."  Or "idiotic."  Or one of his other two adjectives.

Maybe you could explain it.  You're obviously very, very smart.

You almost got it.

He's not mocking the Orioles he's mocking a subsection of Oriole fans.

Glad I could help.  😃

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Uh, the specific players are kind of the important part of that whole player acquisition thing.

Ok that’s fine..and Greinke being there is a far better option than being here for the reasons I said and have said several times.

That said, I never said congrats on KC for signing Greinke.  It’s the mindset I applaud.  They aren’t contenders yet but they want to try and be better now that their best 2 prospects are either in or about to be in the majors.

The Orioles are about to have the same thing but aren’t trying to get better around them. That’s what I have an issue with.

All of the deals KC has made and will likely make since last offseason could blow up in their faces and they will have lost nothing.  They will not be hurt long term at all.  All they would have lost is money and maybe, they get enough production out of these guys that they can approach a 500ish record in 2022 and be ready to take a jump the following year.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Rockies are chaos incarnate. 

I think they use a magic 8 ball to make decisions.

They have 3 top 100 guys according to MLb.com but 2 of them aren’t likely to be up for another 2 years (if they make it of course).

They actually were a surprising team last year.  I thought they would win 60 games.  The idea that they won 74 was definitely a bit of a surprise.

I respect that they want to bring in good players and give the fans something to watch.  They have very little long term money on the books.  System isn’t ranked highly but Law (who ranked them 25th) mentioned that they have alot of guys with good upside and thinks 2020 hurt some of them.

I don’t know.  They are in a tough division and probably see this as an opportunity to grab a good player now but it’s still a surprising overall move.

Earlier in the offseason, I had advocated for Bryant and wanted to go 6/180 at most… I figured he would be getting a bigger contract than that but was thinking that would be more per year.  But as this offseason played out and then the lockout, I figured he would get less money.

I’m kind of surprised to still see him get this big of a pay day.