Poll: If Tyler Wells will be stretched out, who will be closer?

Tony-OH

Who will start off 2022 as the Orioles Closer?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. If Tyler Wells will be stretched out, who will be closer?

• Mike Baumann
    • Felix Bautista
    • Jorge Lopez
    • Cionel Pérez
    • Tanner Scott
    • Cole Sulser
    • Dillon Tate
    • Tyler Wells
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Baumann could be an interesting candidate in a defined role like closer, though, I despise the very idea of defined roles in the pen. He has decent stuff which might play up out there, not right away, but given a few select opps in low-leverage situations.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Baumann could be an interesting candidate in a defined role like closer, though, I despise the very idea of defined roles in the pen. He has decent stuff which might play up out there, not right away, but given a few select opps in low-leverage situations.

If he can regain his 2019 stuff, absolutely. What we saw at the end of the year was not even a good middle reliever stuff. Just depends on who shows up this spring.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

If he can regain his 2019 stuff, absolutely. What we saw at the end of the year was not even a good middle reliever stuff. Just depends on who shows up this spring.

Yeah, I was underwhelmed watching him as a starter last year, but that could change if he reverts to form.

It’s always easier to shorten somebody than to lengthen them.  I’m pretty sure that the year Zach Britton became our closer, he was stretched out in the spring.   And I can see a possible role for Lopez going 2-3 innings at times.   Best to keep all options open before Opening Day, then settle into roles over the first month or so of the season.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, Just Regular said:

Just podcast word of mouth, but Eno Sarris mentioned today Dillon Tate was up to 95-96 at Driveline.

Everyone should get an inning at some point in the next few days if the radar gun has anything to tell.

That shouldn't be surprising.

Tate was up to 98 last summer.  I know his results weren't great, but he consistently got rave reviews from visiting announcing crews.

12 hours ago, justD said:

Loved watching Bautista today.  Definitely looked like closer material. 

9 of 10 pitches were strikes, if you can believe the box score.   And it looks to me like, unlike past years, this box score actually counted all the pitches and didn’t treat all balls in play as one-pitch at bats.   

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

9 of 10 pitches were strikes, if you can believe the box score.   And it looks to me like, unlike past years, this box score actually counted all the pitches and didn’t treat all balls in play as one-pitch at bats.   

He was facing minor leaguers, but still. 

Liover Pegeuro: 96 fouled off, 97 fouled back, 97 high, 81 struck out looking. 

Hunter Owen: 97 high and outside, 97 swing & miss, 97 up in the zone swing & miss, 96 up and in fouled back, 83 struck out looking. 

Mason Martin: 96 hit to shallow CF for the third out. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, justD said:

He was facing minor leaguers, but still. 

Liover Pegeuro: 96 fouled off, 97 fouled back, 97 high, 81 struck out looking. 

Hunter Owen: 97 high and outside, 97 swing & miss, 97 up in the zone swing & miss, 96 up and in fouled back, 83 struck out looking. 

Mason Martin: 96 hit to shallow CF for the third out. 

Well, that’s 8 of 10 for strikes, so the box score was a little off.  Still, good to see him throwing strikes in the early going.  

Lopez was used in a one inning stint despite reports of him being stretched out. He hit 99MPH though he did give up the solo homer. 

Him, Bautista and Tate along with Scott and Perez from the left-side would make a really hard throwing bullpen late in games.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Might not mean anything but Baker has 2 SV in 2 IP this spring.

Pitching in the 9th inning of spring training is actually not a good thing because that means they are giving you innings against minor leaguers. The earlier you get into games the better competition they are trying to see you against.

I actually thought Baker had a good chance of breaking with the team coming onto spring training but a little disappointed in how they've used him.