Orioles sign Chris Owings

Sports Guy

I'm okay with it.  This year we get to see Grayson Rodriguez, Adley Rutschman, maybe D.L. Hall, Stowers, Westburg, etc.    I'm perfectly fine seeing the prospects start to come up and the GM decide when and where he wants to fill in around those guys with established major league players.   I could whine about things not happening faster but what good would that do?   lol

3 minutes ago, MijiT88 said:

Any year, no matter winning or not if we make a depth signing like this it is always good. Take a chance on a guy and maybe he could provide something valuable. There is very little risk in it and potential reward. But I get it SG somethings will never make you happy.

How many of these signings do you want?  How about we go get real players who actually help you?

How about we get legit starting options?  How about they actually try for players who make you better?

Instead, we sign 37 MI to MiL contracts and say, well it’s good to have depth.  No it’s not.

Depth is good when players are good. These aren’t good players.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Yep still ok with the plan that Elias put into place and has been clear and straight forward with the fanbase about since Day 1.

I will say that one year from now I expect him to start putting the pedal to the metal.   Feel free to hold me to that.   Just as I continue to question why you get so frustrated when Elias is doing exactly what he said he would do.

The irony is some of the most vocal critics of the rebuild called for EXACTLY this kind of rebuild for years- many of those corresponding with us actually making the playoffs.

And three years into it, they completely flip-flop on their "principles", and start demanding signing FAs so we can "compete" for 75 wins.

Can't make this stuff up.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I'm okay with it.  This year we get to see Grayson Rodriguez, Adley Rutschman, maybe D.L. Hall, Stowers, Westburg, etc.    I'm perfectly fine seeing the prospects start to come up and the GM decide when and where he wants to fill in around those guys with established major league players.   I could whine about things not happening faster but what good would that do?   lol

As long as they call them up and give them legit PT and a legit chance.

That has to be done first.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pickles said:

The irony is some of the most vocal critics of the rebuild called for EXACTLY this kind of rebuild for years- many of those corresponding with us actually making the playoffs.

And three years into it, they completely flip-flop on their "principles", and start demanding signing FAs so we can "compete" for 75 wins.

Can't make this stuff up.

That’s only because you are either ignorant to what is being said, legitimately aren’t smart enough to understand or just aren’t reading.

If you think you have to lose on purpose for 4+ years to be good long term, you are clueless.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We already have guys like this to pad our org depth chart.  And he probably gets a real chance to make the team too.

$5 says this guy is out of the organization before June, unless injuries hit hard. And that’s the point of signing him. I don’t see his signing as relevant to your larger argument….which I mostly agree with. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

$5 says this guy is out of the organization before June, unless injuries hit hard. And that’s the point of signing him. I don’t see his signing as relevant to your larger argument….which I mostly agree with. 

I don’t really care that they signed him.  I care that this is basically all they sign. I care they don’t make attempts to really get better and put a watchable product on the field.

Maybe by the second half they will call up a bunch of players who are actually worth watching.

Of course, I thought they may have done that last year and they didn’t.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe by the second half they will call up a bunch of players have actually have something worth watching.

Of course, I thought they may have done that last year and they didn’t.

It will be interesting what they do with 40 man roster decisions this year. Take our current 40 and dump two players in spring training for AR and GR. Possibly a third for Stowers. While we'll still have guys remaining that we can dump without much fanfare, it will be getting tighter this year and beyond. Which is obviously a good thing. But 40 man roster considerations could hold back some guys (Neustrom, Sedlock, Knight, Peralta, Vespi) we'd otherwise like to get a look at over what we currently have. Personally.....that will drive me nuts.  As well as guys like Nevin having monster springs that dupe us into holding onto them longer than we should. But then again, hey.....it's spring and there's gonna be a season. Things could be worse. 

Just now, UMDTerrapins said:

It will be interesting what they do with 40 man roster decisions this year. Take our current 40 and dump two players in spring training for AR and GR. Possibly a third for Stowers. While we'll still have guys remaining that we can dump without much fanfare, it will be getting tighter this year and beyond. Which is obviously a good thing. But 40 man roster considerations could hold back some guys (Neustrom, Sedlock, Knight, Peralta, Vespi) we'd otherwise like to get a look at over what we currently have. Personally.....that will drive me nuts.  As well as guys like Nevin having monster springs that dupe us into holding onto them longer than we should. But then again, hey.....it's spring and there's gonna be a season. Things could be worse. 

They should have plenty of guys they can easily drop off the 40 man.  I hope they don’t use that as an excuse.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The problem is Tony, NO signings move the needle.  Every signing is garbage like this and every signing has the same spin you are saying. 

Im not even saying you are wrong but it’s SSDD with this organization and their approach to improving the ML team, something they obviously don’t care about doing.

But if you want to talk approach, maybe make a thread and keep it in there instead of spamming every minor move with your disgust.

This move by itself is just a minor depth move. It's no big deal one way or the other. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s only because you are either ignorant to what is being said, legitimately aren’t smart enough to understand or just aren’t reading.

If you think you have to lose on purpose for 4+ years to be good long term, you are clueless.  

C'mon Rob, tone it down a bit. You are better than this reply.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

C'mon Rob, tone it down a bit. You are better than this reply.

Well, I would think people would also be better than misrepresenting what has been said a million times but I guess I’m wrong about that.

If you are going to flat out lie, I’m going to call you out for it.  Pickles is flat out lying.  It’s either intentional or he’s clueless to what is being said.  You choose.  Neither is good.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They should have plenty of guys they can easily drop off the 40 man.  I hope they don’t use that as an excuse.

They will.  😁 

By the way, I'm emerging from my winter baseball hibernation and it's great to see you and a bunch of the usual faces again. Nice to see you're all in mid-season form. Ball looks good coming out your hand. Try not to overthrow too early. 

• Haha 2