Sig on Brian Kenny's show today

Just Regular

Questions by Brian Kenny on MLB Now this afternoon

Q: Where in build cycle are you?

A: Further along than we expected.   Happy talk on Blood's coaches and Koby building int'l program "better than I could have imagined" this fast

Q: What should down teams do when many are surging (Kenny referenced today's A's as part of this)

A: Sig here just said times changed since days of 40-50 analysts MLB-wide became 400-500.

Q: The famous Astros/Cubs cycle were 4-5 years...is that how long it takes/when will you compete?

A: ASAP, future too indefinite to say an exact time, etc.

Q: Mullins - keep or hold?

A: "We're no exception" as one of the many teams who like him, what we do going forward decision w/ownership & GM.   I think he'll be here for years to come.

<I did find it interesting ownership got a consult mention at the Mullins level>

Q: Adley - when?

A: Don't want to hurt long-term process promoting before ready.   Sig did say listening to lots of experienced coaches part of process.

Q: Rules changes - anything you like/dislike

A: Sig was diplomatic about shift ban, if Commissioner/experts decide "good for the game".   Rules changes around mound and pitch clock were areas he said he thought might be interesting.    <I haven't heard much about mound height tinkering anywhere in terms of tilting odds back to Bats>

Q: How big is right size for baseball ops?   How big are you now?

A: 10-11 analysts/developers and 6-7 interns.   Sig volunteered lesson learned that getting too big too quickly can be "inefficient use of investment"

Q: What do you learn moonlighting as minor league coach?

A: The constraints (time, facility, food) the coaches face in real life controlling what is practical/impractical compared to ideas anyone in the warehouse with JimmyJohns delivery can think up.

• Upvote 3

• Just Regular changed the title to Sig on Brian Kenny's show today
6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What answers were awful, and what would you have expected him to say?

Well the Adley answer is awful because I’m assuming that answer has nothing to do with the injury.  

Further among than you expected? Wtf?  You have a terrible team that isn’t showing signs of improvement.  Your young players have come up to the majors and aren’t developing and you are better than you thought?  Where the hell did you think you would be FOUR years into this process of this is way better?

Im guessing this is just interview fodder.  Typical bs FO talk that ultimately means nothing.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well the Adley answer is awful because I’m assuming that answer has nothing to do with the injury.  

Further among than you expected? Wtf?  You have a terrible team that isn’t showing signs of improvement.  Your young players have come up to the majors and aren’t developing and you are better than you thought?  Where the hell did you think you would be FOUR years into this process of this is way better?

I took the latter answer to basically refer to the international program.   But whatever.  He’s not going to say “behind schedule compared to what I expected.”

34 minutes ago, byrdz said:

Here’s the actual video: https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/sig-mejdal-talks-o-s-on-mlb-now

He speaks like a former NASA engineer running an analytics department. Imagine that.

Yeah, basically a lot of GM-speak, not wanting to go out on a limb or say anything negative on any subject.   I have no problem with his answers but I certainly didn’t learn anything from this interview.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, basically a lot of GM-speak, not wanting to go out on a limb or say anything negative on any subject.   I have no problem with his answers but I certainly didn’t learn anything from this interview.  

Well, our view of the international program is basically happiness that we have one and are spending the money.

On the other hand, we really don't have much information on the actual players. It would be nice if they were good. I'm reaching, but that would be nice new news to hear.