MASN refuses to pay for travel costs

NelsonCruuuuuz

This an extremely bad decision.  If half the teams were doing it then maybe but being the only one is just stupid.  You are trying to get fans to buy into a rebuild.  You are asking people to pay for tickets when you are telling people you really aren't going to compete yet but saying it is for the greater good.  We all have to pay our cable fees whether they win or lose.  We can all argue whether not paying for better players makes sense or not at this stage, but this is penny pinching.  Period.  Safety?  BS.  There is only so much of this fans are going to take.  After a while the KY jelly supply runs out.  At 62 I try not to overreact to things but this pisses me off. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

And this is why I have doubts about the Correa offer. Not because MLBtR or Heyman or anyone else didn’t pick it up. 

Look, this team continues to tell the fans they don’t care about them.  They don’t care about the on field product.  They don’t care about the production value of the product they are putting out there.  They don’t care if it’s communicated to you in a way the fan deserves.  

None of it.  They care about saving money.  It’s funny that people think this team is just going to flip a switch and are saving money in some special bank account to spend later.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And this is why I have doubts about the Correa offer. Not because MLBtR or Heyman or anyone else didn’t pick it up. 

Look, this team continues to tell the fans they don’t care about them.  They don’t care about the on field product.  They don’t care about the production value of the product they are putting out there.  They don’t care if it’s communicated to you in a way the fan deserves.  

None of it.  They care about saving money.  It’s funny that people think this team is just going to flip a switch and are saving money in some special bank account to spend later.

There’s nothing inconsistent with thinking they are being cheap now and thinking that money not spent now increases the ability to  spend money later.  I’d say your position is the inconsistent one, thinking that if the O’s spent more money on free agents today that wouldn’t impair their ability to do so in the future.   

Sometimes I wonder if MASN’s cheapness should be equated with the Orioles’ cheapness.   I’m having trouble squaring this penny-pinching on sending reporters to Florida and announcers to road games with spending $7 mm on Jordan Lyles.   The Lyles move stands out like a sore thumb as contrary to everything else the O’s and MASN have done this offseason.   Not that $7 mm is a lot to spend on a pitcher, but it’s a lot to spend on a pitcher of Lyle’s caliber.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

This bothers me more symbolically than it does substantively.   

But substantively it affects the quality of broadcasts. Announcers get a lot more feel for the game when they can look over the entire field. They can judge fly balls better, they can see things that are happening that the TV broadcast may not be picking up. 

It's utterly and disgustingly embarrassing that MASN is run so cheaply. It truly makes you wonder if the Orioles will ever spend adequately for major league talent when they are so cheap that they wont even send their broadcasters to away games. 

Until an ownership group that does things in a 1st class way ever takes over the Orioles, we will most likely be always be treated to the Angelos treatment of 3rd class, cut corner ways so their bottom line is at it's best.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

But substantively it affects the quality of broadcasts. Announcers get a lot more feel for the game when they can look over the entire field. They can judge fly balls better, they can see things that are happening that the TV broadcast may not be picking up. 

It's utterly and disgustingly embarrassing that MASN is run so cheaply. It truly makes you wonder if the Orioles will ever spend adequately for major league talent when they are so cheap that they wont even send their broadcasters to away games. 

Until an ownership group that does things in a 1st class way ever takes over the Orioles, we will most likely be always be treated to the Angelos treatment of 3rd class, cut corner ways so their bottom line is at it's best.

I'm surprised that the Nats aren't just very publicly paying for their crew.  I would think that for the cost it would be worthwhile for them to make the O's look bad.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to Elias since he said the money would be there when it's time to spend. Saying that, we all know what he's up against and moves like this continue to show how little the Angelos family cares about the fans.

We are the peasents and we are supposed to enjoy the occasional bread they throw into the crowd for a cheer.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm surprised that the Nats aren't just very publicly paying for their crew.  I would think that for the cost it would be worthwhile for them to make the O's look bad.

If I were them I certainly would. I'd be sticking it to the Angelos family every chance I got. Of course they probably can't since MASN owns the broadcast rights, not the Nationals.

There is logic to the orioles not spending on the major league roster 

The lack of travel for broadcasters though is just cheap, and shows how little they care about the fans. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not even a large cost 

5 minutes ago, seak05 said:

There is logic to the orioles not spending on the major league roster 

The lack of travel for broadcasters though is just cheap, and shows how little they care about the fans. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not even a large cost 

These are the same guys that let coaches go to cut costs.