MASN refuses to pay for travel costs

NelsonCruuuuuz

8 minutes ago, geschinger said:

Dumb decision - it makes the product suffer.  Probably worse than implied as I don't see how the costs of having 9 guys travel with a team is anywhere near "millions of dollars".  Ths savings have to be significantly less than that.

I thought the same thing.

That info is either way off or there are a lot of other costs we aren’t aware of.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

But substantively it affects the quality of broadcasts. Announcers get a lot more feel for the game when they can look over the entire field. They can judge fly balls better, they can see things that are happening that the TV broadcast may not be picking up. .

I still can't forget that early game at Yankee Stadium last year where we won when Anthony Santander threw out the Yankee at the plate for the final out in the bottom of the 9th to preserve a 1 run win.

To me, that is about the most exciting way a game can end, even better than a walkoff HR

And broadcasting remotely from Camden Yards, Garceau totally lost the excitement of the moment, he didn't even realize the game was over.   Then I heard Melanie Newman's radio call replayed the next day and it was just a complete mishmash, didn't even let the listener know what was happening.

I know some of that was due to the talent, or lack of talent, by the two announcers, but I have to think there would have been at least a little more excitement in their call if they were there at Yankee Stadium.

• Upvote 1

They really don't even need all 9 guys, they could get by with half of that using the opposing team's feed and the quality would be significantly better with just announcers and a producer and engineer so long as the announcers could actually see the play in front of them.

Just now, SteveA said:

I still can't forget that early game at Yankee Stadium last year where we won when Anthony Santander threw out the Yankee at the plate for the final out in the bottom of the 9th to preserve a 1 run win.

To me, that is about the most exciting way a game can end, even better than a walkoff HR

And broadcasting remotely from Camden Yards, Garceau totally lost the excitement of the moment, he didn't even realize the game was over.   Then I heard Melanie Newman's radio call replayed the next day and it was just a complete mishmash, didn't even let the listener know what was happening.

I know some of that was due to the talent, or lack of talent, by the two announcers, but I have to think there would have been at least a little more excitement in their call if they were there at Yankee Stadium.

It was not. Their in-booth video feed went out so they literally had no idea what happened.

25 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Oh, man...I do remember that game and that call by Garceau. That guy is so bland. I hope he's not going to be in the booth like he was last year. Dude just acts likes it's a 9-5 job. 🙄

In a way, I'm fortunate. The only games I get to see here in Vermont are when they play Boston - NESN. Can't abide by ESPN announcers and don't do MLB or MLBTV.  I miss Palmer but Ek is good in a similar fashion. NESN does a quality job and their annoncers are not total homers.

MASN has never impressed me as a well run outfit and I doubt it will ever be until THE DISPUTE is finally put to bed or MASN is sold. I love my Orioles but MASN is an embarrasment of a sport's network to someone that spent most of their life in Maryland.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's great logic.

Spend less of the team, pocket more in profits.

That's solid logic from ownership.

But they are flying Palmer from LA to Baltimore to announce the road games Is Ben McDonald still also doing TV color? How is that safety?

Are the Orioles and Nationals still the only teams that you can't stream?

Barely pay attention to the Orioles anymore.