Adley Rutschman 2022

Just Regular

14 minutes ago, jamalshw said:
15 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Given he wouldn't be playing in the minors if he wasn't healthy, the only three reasons to not having him brought up are: 

2. They want him to catch 3 in a row or more before being promoted (which is on them for the slow ramp up).

I agree with those who say he could be doing the ramp up at the MLB level.  I don't think we have enough info to conclude he's fully healthy and it's on the org for him not catching 3 days in a row.  i.e. is he not catching three in a row to this point because the team is being uber conservative or is not catching three days in a row because he's feeling soreness or discomfort after catching two games in a row? 

Some of the throws I've seen on the few milb.com games I have seen makes me think it may not be the org slow rolling things that is preventing catching 3 days in a row.

13 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Just a hunch, but a few potential reasons:

• They think they'll draw decent crowds against the Yankees regardless so they're hoping to get an attendance bump against the Rays.
  • They may be a bit worried about "Savior" expectations.  If he comes up and struggles out of the gate it wouldn't be the worst for him to get that initial debut at home and then get to go on the road for a bit.

No idea if either of those are either remotely correct, just some theories.

I don't think they are planning his promotion around the idea of selling a couple thousands seats to a single game.

3 minutes ago, geschinger said:

I agree with those who say he could be doing the ramp up at the MLB level.  I don't think we have enough info to conclude he's fully healthy and it's on the org for him not catching 3 days in a row.  i.e. is he not catching three in a row to this point because the team is being uber conservative or is not catching three days in a row because he's feeling soreness or discomfort after catching two games in a row? 

Some of the throws I've seen on the few milb.com games I have seen makes me think it may not be the org slow rolling things that is preventing catching 3 days in a row.

If he's not healthy he needs to not be playing.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Unless doctors think he could do more damage - If he's feeling discomfort after a few days of throwing that is no reason shut him down and forgo DHing and getting ABs.   

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Players play through injuries all of the time.  Hypothetically, let's say the strained triceps never responded to 2-3 weeks of rest but it was determined that playing with it wouldn't cause long term damage.

The decision could have been, do we rest him for a month, 2 months, still not knowing 100% if that would work or let him rehab and play through it.

25 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Just a hunch, but a few potential reasons:

• They think they'll draw decent crowds against the Yankees regardless so they're hoping to get an attendance bump against the Rays.
  • They may be a bit worried about "Savior" expectations.  If he comes up and struggles out of the gate it wouldn't be the worst for him to get that initial debut at home and then get to go on the road for a bit.

No idea if either of those are either remotely correct, just some theories.

All good,but they drew the lowest crowd against the Yankees ever  at Camden Yards,I  think besides the covid years, 12,228 .I know they drew less in 2021 at the end but that was a weird year with facemasks and at times capacity restrictions and restuarant restrictions .I looked back a few years before that and could not find a Yankee game with less fans.

33 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

4. Super 2 eligibility

5. #1 draft pick

I have been very supportive of the rebuild but patience is wearing thin and the cynical explanations look more and more plausible as every day goes by. 

I almost hope no matter how well Adley does the writers vote him top 3 in ROY so this year counts towards service time just to spite the Orioles. I also would fully buy into a tin foil hat theory with the draft lottery no way MLB lets the O's get the number 1 pick again. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Players play through injuries all of the time.  Hypothetically, let's say the strained triceps never responded to 2-3 weeks of rest but it was determined that playing with it wouldn't cause long term damage.

The decision could have been, do we rest him for a month, 2 months, still not knowing 100% if that would work or let him rehab and play through it.

Kinda funny the extent folks will go to disagree with me.

I will double down on my apparently hot take that if the top prospect in baseball has a significant amount of his potential future value tied into his ability to catch, he should not be catching if he has an arm injury.  (Before anyone jumps on me changing my stance I was on mobile and shorthanded playing for catching.)

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they are planning his promotion around the idea of selling a couple thousands seats to a single game.

To be honest I've given up trying to understand how this organization thinks.  I think pretty much anything is in play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Does this tweet mean against Seattle or in Seattle? They play in Seattle starting June 27th.So another month and 10 days. The Orioles would save on flying his family across the country, so there is that.

I think it's supposed to be a joke, yeah, I'm not sure. I didn't realize they didn't play out there until 6/27 lol. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it's supposed to be a joke, yeah, I'm not sure. I didn't realize they didn't play out there until 6/27 lol. 

Adley making his MLB debut before the all star break is considered ahead of schedule going by the warehouse's timeline. 

I'm going to say Adley makes his debut this weekend against the Rays, but who knows it could be two more weeks. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Does this tweet mean against Seattle or in Seattle? They play in Seattle starting June 27th.So another month and 10 days. The Orioles would save on flying his family across the country, so there is that.

I would be impressed if this organization actually pays for a prospect's family to fly in for their debut. They wouldn't even pay for their own broadcasters to go with the team on the road until universal outcry forced their hand.