Adley Rutschman 2022

Just Regular

If he is hitting well there will be a ton of national and local press about holding him down.  And then they is the union with a possible grievance. 

If he is hitting well and catching in the minors what will be the O's justification?   Can't hit? Can't catch?   I don't think so.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

If he is hitting well there will be a ton of national and local press about holding him down.  And then they is the union with a possible grievance. 

If he is hitting well and catching in the minors what will be the O's justification?   Can't hit? Can't catch?   I don't think so.

Why would the Union get involved, he isn't a member.

I've never heard of the National Media getting involved to any degree with a player in the minors not being promoted and I'm not sure Elias would care if they did.

My guess is all you would get is some whack jobs on a message board complaining about it and probably 30% of them would saying what a smart move it is to wait.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would the Union get involved, he isn't a member.

I've never heard of the National Media getting involved to any degree with a player in the minors not being promoted and I'm not sure Elias would care if they did.

My guess is all you would get is some whack jobs on a message board complaining about it and probably 30% of them would saying what a smart move it is to wait.

The national media got pretty involved with Kris Bryant if I remember correctly. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

The national media got pretty involved with Kris Bryant if I remember correctly. 

Why the Cubs waited 13 days to call up one of the best prospects in baseball

However, many feel the Cubs had an ulterior motive for demoting Bryant, one based on money instead of talent.

By missing the first 12 days of the season, Bryant won't get credit for a full year of service time in the big leagues. As a result, Bryant won't be eligible for free agency until 2022 instead of 2021 if he had started the season in the big leagues.

In other words, the Cubs can now get seven seasons of production out of Bryant at a more reasonable salary instead of six.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And Elias has the cover of "recovery from injury" to keep Rutschman down in Norfolk until he decides it's time for a promotion to MLB. 

That justification goes away if Adley is hitting and throwing well.  

But I don't think any of this will happen because Elias will promote him fairly quickly.

Just now, wildcard said:

The thing you don't seem to understand is he doesn't need a justification.

No team has lost one of these cases.  If there is an eventual case and Adley wins it Elias might not even be with the team anymore.

Unless some unknown factor provides pressure why shouldn't he keep him down another couple weeks?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The thing you don't seem to understand is he doesn't need a justification.

No team has lost one of these cases.  If there is an eventual case and Adley wins it Elias might not even be with the team anymore.

Unless some unknown factor provides pressure why shouldn't he keep him down another couple weeks?

Some posters here are not talking a couple of weeks.  Some are suggesting months.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Rutschman is getting called up, but it will happen on Elias' timetable which might not jive with fan expectations. I'd be surprised if we get to the end of June and Rutschman isn't called up assuming he starts playing in MILB games in the next week. 

At the same time I won't rule it out after seeing how Elias operates.