Tyler Wells confirmed as a tandem starter

interloper

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/03/means-named-orioles-opening-day-starter-1.html

Just think it's noteworthy since there was so much debate about Wells as a reliever vs starter. I was fully in the reliever camp, but I admit to being swayed to Wells as a starter after seeing him this spring and with the rise of Felix Bautista. 

It also comes with the very, very big added bonus of subtracting one non-exciting starter from the rotation such as Keegan Akin or Alex Wells or Spencer Watkins or Chris Ellis. 

With this, the rotation seems all but confirmed: Means, Lyles, Zimmermann, Kremer, Wells/Lowther tandem, in whatever order. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• interloper changed the title to Tyler Wells confirmed as a tandem starter
Just now, SteveA said:

Openers, at least in some cases, were guys who just went 1-2 innings and faced the first 6 batters or so.

I think a tandem starter is someone they are hoping to get at least 3 innings out of.

Yeah "opener" to me means the guy is still a reliever. Tandem is more what they did last year in the minors with a lot of their starters. 

I was skeptical of this as well, especially with his injuries last year. I believe one of them occurred after a back to back so maybe they think he will do better with regular rest even if that adds up to more innings? I definitely think the rotation looks better with him in it versus any of the other candidates. 

Where are you getting Kremer from? He pitched himself back to the minors last year and has done nothing since. 

Wells is supposedly the starter today in tandem with Akin, perhaps leaving hope that Lowther will make the rotation? 

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/03/orioles-and-pirates-lineups-16.html

SARASOTA, Fla. - Tyler Wells has been moved into today’s starting assignment against the Pirates in Bradenton, with left-hander Keegan Akin now following him in relief.

28 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Openers, at least in some cases, were guys who just went 1-2 innings and faced the first 6 batters or so.

I think a tandem starter is someone they are hoping to get at least 3 innings out of.

I think as a tandem they look at him as a guy they hope can get them 3-5 innings a start with the piggy back also trying to go 3-4. It's a way to try and rest the bullpen while using two "starters".

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I was skeptical of this as well, especially with his injuries last year. I believe one of them occurred after a back to back so maybe they think he will do better with regular rest even if that adds up to more innings? I definitely think the rotation looks better with him in it versus any of the other candidates. 

Where are you getting Kremer from? He pitched himself back to the minors last year and has done nothing since. 

Wells is supposedly the starter today in tandem with Akin, perhaps leaving hope that Lowther will make the rotation? 

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/03/orioles-and-pirates-lineups-16.html

SARASOTA, Fla. - Tyler Wells has been moved into today’s starting assignment against the Pirates in Bradenton, with left-hander Keegan Akin now following him in relief.

He's all but confirmed. There's no one else. He's pitched much better despite the home runs, lot of Ks, lot more confidence on the mound. Good curveball, good velocity. Who else is there? Akin can't throw strikes, Lowther is paired with Wells, the other guys are optioned.

• Upvote 1

We can expect injuries, inning limits, and rookie hiccups to limit the overall effectiveness of the unit, but a rotation of Means, T. Wells, Grayson, DL Hall, plus whoever… is on the horizon and that IS A VERY EXCITING ROTATION. 

Edited by Matt Bennett

1 minute ago, interloper said:

He's all but confirmed. There's no one else. He's pitched much better despite the home runs, lot of Ks, lot more confidence on the mound. Good curveball, good velocity. Who else is there? Akin can't throw strikes, Lowther is paired with Wells, the other guys are optioned.

Roch doesn't say anything about him being paired with Lowther, does he? Wells is paired with Akin today for whatever that's worth. 

I did see Roch called Kremer the "lead dog" of the 5th starter group I'm just not seeing it. Must have had a great eye test!

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Roch doesn't say anything about him being paired with Lowther, does he? Wells is paired with Akin today for whatever that's worth. 

I did see Roch called Kremer the "lead dog" of the 5th starter group I'm just not seeing it. Must have had a great eye test!

True that's fair, we don't know exactly who he's being paired with yet. 

I don’t think any of this matters.   They are going with this tandem starter thing to start the year because of the lockout.  The only starter guaranteed to be a starter, assuming health, this season is Means.

Lyles isn’t guaranteed because he’s not good.  The others aren’t guaranteed because of performance and lack of innings.

Whoever can show that they can get through a lineup multiple times and keep the team in the game will start.  Everyone else is DFA’ed, optioned or sent to the pen.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think any of this matters.   They are going with this tandem starter thing to start the year because of the lockout.  The only starter guaranteed to be a starter, assuming health, this season is Means.

Lyles isn’t guaranteed because he’s not good.  The others aren’t guaranteed because of performance and lack of innings.

Whoever can show that they can get through a lineup multiple times and keep the team in the game will start.  Everyone else is DFA’ed, optioned or sent to the pen.

Some of us would like to try and predict who it's going to be. You do not need to participate if you don't think it's meaningful.

I don't mind trying the tandem approach.  Maybe doing a lefty/righty thing or stacking against a righty (or lefty) heavy lineup.  Just to limit the second/third time facing the same hitters.  When you have mediocre (at best) arms, it's worth the shot.  Especially with a 28 man roster through 5/1, carrying the extra SP (or 2) won't hurt.

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think as a tandem they look at him as a guy they hope can get them 3-5 innings a start with the piggy back also trying to go 3-4. It's a way to try and rest the bullpen while using two "starters".

With the expanded active roster, I'm wondering if teams will just naturally fall into this.  Have three committed rotation starters (to whom you pay the big bucks), then four or five guys that pair up on the other two days interchangeably and pitch 3-5 innings, and then the rest of the pitching staff fitting in where needed.  If you put a couple of extra pitchers on your staff, it should really increase your flexibility.

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Some of us would like to try and predict who it's going to be. You do not need to participate if you don't think it's meaningful.

I’m not saying that but way to be over dramatic.

The question was being asked about what tandem Is or who follows who or whatever.  I’m just saying it doesn’t really matter.  It’s just a means to the end for the time being.  

What does matter is who will they ask to throw the multiple innings and how they perform for the long term of the season.