Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

3 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

His OBP at Bowie is .489.  Putting himself squarely back on the map, not that he ever really fell off it.  

He had a .385 OBP in Aberdeen which is very, very good. I think he's quite easily the best OF prospect they have and creates an interesting dilemma going forward.  Stowers, Hays, Mullins, Cowser (Santander???) fighting for three spots with Kjerstad quietly building up behind them. If either or both of Beavers and Fabian, develop into a Stowers type profile then you have to factor them in as well. Having this surplus is an enviable position to be in but Elias and co. will still have to make the most prudent decisions on who stays in the org and who gets traded. 

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

He had a .385 OBP in Aberdeen which is very, very good. I think he's quite easily the best OF prospect they have and creates an interesting dilemma going forward.  Stowers, Hays, Mullins, Cowser (Santander???) fighting for three spots with Kjerstad quietly building up behind them. If either or both of Beavers and Fabian, develop into a Stowers type profile then you have to factor them in as well. Having this surplus is an enviable position to be in but Elias and co. will still have to make the most prudent decisions on who stays in the org and who gets traded. 

Four spots if someone DHs

6 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Those of us of a certain age may be reminded of how Don Baylor was blocked by the O’s great outfield for several seasons while he was destroying AAA pitching.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Four spots if someone DHs

If Stowers' minor league on base and power output translates to the bigs then he'd be a solid DH. Kjerstad has that potential as well. Injuries will play a factor too. It's pretty remarkable how healthy the current big league OF has been. 

1 hour ago, George Zuverink said:

Those of us of a certain age may be reminded of how Don Baylor was blocked by the O’s great outfield for several seasons while he was destroying AAA pitching.

I'm not sure how good a hitter's park Rochester was circa 1970, but the offensive numbers for that team were ridiculous.  Baylor first made it to Rochester at age 19 (in 1968) and didn't make the big leagues to stay until 1972 despite parts of 3 seasons at Rochester with:

AB: 1046

H: 330

2B: 65

3B: 25

HR: 42

RBI: 206

SB/CS: 52/9

HBP: 37

Avg: .315

OBP: .420

SLG: .546

As great as he was, Bobby Grich was even better, including a lifetime Rochester OPS of 1.072 in 864 PAs (ages 21 and 22).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, George Zuverink said:

Yep.  I believe he and Grich both returned to Rochester for a second season before they could get a shot on the Orioles.   That was back in 1972 when the Orioles were coming off 3 straight WS appearances.   Of course, 1972 was an awful season, and these guys got their chance in 1973, IIRC.

16 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

I'm not sure how good a hitter's park Rochester was circa 1970, but the offensive numbers for that team were ridiculous.  Baylor first made it to Rochester at age 19 (in 1968) and didn't make the big leagues to stay until 1972 despite parts of 3 seasons at Rochester with:

AB: 1046

H: 330

2B: 65

3B: 25

HR: 42

RBI: 206

SB/CS: 52/9

HBP: 37

Avg: .315

OBP: .420

SLG: .546

As great as he was, Bobby Grich was even better, including a lifetime Rochester OPS of 1.072 in 864 PAs (ages 21 and 22).

I selfishly wish that teams could still stockpile talent on the minors for years like the "good ole days."

6 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I selfishly wish that teams could still stockpile talent on the minors for years like the " ole days."

Whats happening right now isnt too far off. We have an OF and two IF prospects in Norfolk with no room to play them.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:39 AM, RZNJ said:

I have no idea. I know Markais was listed at 6'2 and Cowser at 6'3 but Cowser looks like a bigger guy to me. He's kind of tall and lanky but I think he's just scratching the surface on the power.  He pulled one last night and if he starts pulling more balls in the air, watch out.  

Although I still have slight concern about the strikeouts (25% at Bowie), Cowser is looking like the real deal.     It does look like he's just scratching the surface on his power potential.   At Aberdeen it was in the from of lots of doubles and not so many homers.   At Bowie it's been about 50/50 but the real key as that half of his hits go for extra bases.   He maintains a strong walk rate while doing so.    We haven't heard anything about his defense in CF.  Most think he eventually moves to a corner but I wonder how he's looked out there.   Has anyone seen any repots?

On 6/6/2022 at 8:06 PM, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Looked terrific last year! Longer we are awful, we draft higher! Genius! Friendly reminder Jordan Lawlar tearing it up, he was the pick. Awful decision regardless how it turns out. 

This is the part I just don't get.  Awful decision no mater how it turns out?  LOL