Dillon Tate 2022

luismatos4prez

So, I havent made it much of a secret that I’m not a big Tate fan.  I was glad when we got him in the trade and I thought he was going to make a really good opener type guy.

But he has been a big disappointment for me.  And it’s not the actual numbers that bother me.  It’s the peripherals..the low K rates, not missing bats, etc…just seemed like he was destined to be a guy who was going to be your 5th or 6th reliever..a dime a dozen guy who you can replace easily.

But if he is going to add a consistently good change up with that level of movement, that should change things. If he is going to be able to miss more bats and get more Ks while also being able to keep the homers and walks down (as he has done in his career), that is a real game changer for him imo.  

Definitely something to watch as the season goes on.

• 1 month later...

I feel like Dillon is the kind of guy who is going to be pitching somewhere til he's like 38.  He's going to be a good, solid dependable bullpen arm for a long time.  The kind of guy who plays for a lot of teams by the end of his career.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Tate has halved his BB/9 innings to 1.6, increased his SO/9 by 1.1, and has a superb WHIP of .948 (compared to last year's 1.241)--that's second only to the Mountain and better than what our All-Star closer Jorge Lopez's was. Home runs yielded has dropped to only 4 in 58 innings (two at home, two away). Hope that Tate has found his groove at the age of 28 and will be a mainstay during the next few seasons, fulfilling much of the promise of being picked 4th overall in 2015.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah I don’t know why you guys are dumping on Tate but he’s been good this year. Ideally his strikeouts would be a tick higher but he’s been dependable. 

Most of the posts were from April. Tate has been very solid. The ability to throw the change up to RHB as well as LHB has been a game changer for him. 

I have no idea why he was still pitching for a third inning. Possibly the worst decision Hyde has made this year, thankfully didn't cost us the game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Most of the posts were from April. Tate has been very solid. The ability to throw the change up to RHB as well as LHB has been a game changer for him. 

I have no idea why he was still pitching for a third inning. Possibly the worst decision Hyde has made this year, thankfully didn't cost us the game. 

Nah, it happens in the game threads, too.

He’s throwing a lot of strikes.

But the lack of Ks and missed bats is concerning imo.

If he keeps throwing strikes at this level, he’s better than what he had been in the past but he’s still not much more than a good reliever imo.  A 3-3.5 ERA type guy.  Not great but not bad.

If his str% drops back down, he goes back to being an easily replaceable guy.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a big week for Tate.   First Hyde brought him in to relieve Bradish in the fourth inning of Tuesday’s game with runners on 1st and 3rd and nobody out.  He escaped that jam, and though he did allow a run on a bloop hit the following inning, he got five outs and preserved the lead.   Then last night, with Bautista unavailable, he entered a 3-2 game in the 8th with two outs and a runner on, leading by only a run, and he got the four out save.  

Hyde has pitched him for more than a full inning 17 times this year, and he’s generally gotten the job done. He has 4 saves and 14 holds, with only one blown save (in a game the O’s won).   

Per Fangraphs, he’s 30th among relievers at 1.41 WPA.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad he's here.    To the extent in Elias-world everything arises from growth mindset, Tate is maybe right there with Means as pitchers who have used their offseasons productively the last few years.

Relievers burn bright and die fast, and Raysian hedge fund types can do the math and leverage that into years and years of good pitching for the Team that mostly costs nothing one spin of the Player carousel at a time.    

Tate's pedigree and growth combined give me a little hope he can get above the fray some.    I'd still mostly guess in 3 years he's closer to anonymous than an All-Star.