Dillon Tate 2022

luismatos4prez

On 6/4/2022 at 6:19 PM, connja said:

I feel like Dillon is the kind of guy who is going to be pitching somewhere til he's like 38.  He's going to be a good, solid dependable bullpen arm for a long time.  The kind of guy who plays for a lot of teams by the end of his career.

Your speculation brings to mind LaTroy Hawkins, whose career lasted 21 years until the age of 42 (1995-2015). Often quite valuable for numerous teams, including the 2006 O's, in roles similar to Tate's.

This is really only Tate's 2nd full year in the majors and he's shown vast improvement over last year.  I'm not a big fan but if he can get more consistent command, he might get even better.    I get frustrated with him when he makes two great pitches and then hangs the 3rd one but that seems to be a thing with a lot of pitchers.   He's made huge strides with the slider from last year to this year.  At least that's what I think I see.   Much more consistent control overall too from last year to this year.

The Rates and Barrels guys talked a few minutes today about Dillon Tate maybe stretching back out Tyler Wells style next year, based on strength of changeup results this year.     Apart from slider obvious best pitch, Sarris gave take his sinker, while a poor pitch by metrics, is at least a pitch he locates well.    3-pitch mix makes it a possibility?

Starting at 37 minute mark.

• Upvote 2