Moises Chace 2022

RZNJ

Well, Juan Delosantos might have been the only interesting pitching Tony's seen at Delmarva up to this point but I wonder if he was watching Delmarva tongith.  Chace, who doesn't turn 19 until June, threw the last 4 innings, with one hit allowed, two walks, and 7 strikeouts, striking out the side in the 9th, all swinging,  on what looks to be 13 pitches.    

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, Juan Delosantos might have been the only interesting pitching Tony's seen at Delmarva up to this point but I wonder if he was watching Delmarva tongith.  Chace, who doesn't turn 19 until June, threw the last 4 innings, with one hit allowed, two walks, and 7 strikeouts, striking out the side in the 9th, all swinging,  on what looks to be 13 pitches.    

I was watching earlier but broke off to watch Norfolk's no-no attempt (broken up by home run in 8th). I'll go take a look though.

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I noticed this.  Good to see.  But why, at 18 years old, is he in Delmarva but yet other guys aren’t?  

Chace will be 19 fairly soon.   He was in the FCL last year, so it’s not too surprising to see him in Delmarva.   I believe Koby Perez mentioned him as someone to watch in an interview a couple of months ago.  

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I noticed this.  Good to see.  But why, at 18 years old, is he in Delmarva but yet other guys aren’t?  

Well, if he's ahead of all of the other pitchers re: age/level, that has to be a good sign I'd think.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Well, if he's ahead of all of the other pitchers re: age/level, that has to be a good sign I'd think.

Yes but we have seen a lot of guys like this and the Os have held them back far too long.  Why is he an exception?  It’s just odd to me.

I went back and watched his performance last night but didn't get a chance to say anything here.

I liked what I saw though I didn't get any radar readings from the broadcasters. threw a lot of strikes and at times show a really good hard diving slider. He got a pretty decent amount of swings and misses up in the zone on the fastball. his change wasn't great but he was able to keep the pitch playable.

He definitely goes on the watch list for me.

From Koby Perez this January:

“We also have a couple of guys that didn’t make the Instructional League because they were from Venezuela. All flights [to the U.S] were canceled. Moises Chace, he’s a right-handed pitcher that we were excited to try and get to the Instructional League, but unfortunately we couldn’t. He and Raul Ringel, also from Venezuela, also a right-handed pitcher, show a lot of promise.”

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2020/12/14/checking-orioles-international-scouting-director-koby-perez/

Watched his two starts back to back tonight, so I'm pulling observations from both. But as a quick sidebar, this emphasis on speeding up the game between pitches has gone too far. Some completely ridiculous strikes (and strikeouts) charged tonight.

With Chace, I was really pleased by what I saw. His fastball is low 90's, but the announcers said he was up to 94 in his first outing. The hitters did seem late on his fastball, but I don't remember feeling like I was looking at 94...I just chalked that up to the level he's playing against.  

His mechanics have a surprisingly good foundation and he doesn't look like he's overly exerting. He leads with his hip turn really nicely and has good balance right up until he throws, at which point it gets a little inconsistent. He does have a tendency to fall off to the first base side a bit, but when he doesn't he actually locates nicely. He also seems to lose some command out of the stretch. He sets up closed from the stretch, but with his front foot 45 degrees open from the windup, and I wonder if the difference gets him a bit uncalibrated? I'm probably reading too much into that. His slider is pretty decent and he commands it fairly well. It's more of a vertical break than a typical slider. I think his fastball and slider deliveries are so similar that it's going to be hard for hitters to pick them apart. He rarely throws his changeup, so I'm guessing it needs work. He's primarily a two pitch pitcher, so the development of his changeup will be something to watch. For 18 years old getting his first taste of full season ball, I was pretty impressed. Very few hard hit balls against him.

Another sidebar.....it was great to see Greg Cullen begin his rehab assignment tonight. If he could ever stay healthy I'd love to see what he could do. His batting eye is ridiculous....he walked in 22% of his plate appearances last year. Of course, he drew a walk tonight (and a hit). 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Does he and Rangel have a chance to add more velocity with added weight and strength? I know it doesn't always happen looking at Rom and others.

I'd say that with any 18 year old pitcher, the chances of them adding velocity is likely with maturity. 

Grayson Rodriguez came out of high school (from what I recall) throwing in the low 90's.  He's now in the high 90's. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Does he and Rangel have a chance to add more velocity with added weight and strength? I know it doesn't always happen looking at Rom and others.

He's built pretty solidly from what I can see so I don't think there's a ton more velocity in there. Rangel is more tall and slender so there is some thought he could gain velocity as he fills out.