The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dont get your hopes up Hokie. Kevin Newsome will be announcing his decision to play in Happy Valley today. I guarantee it.

Are you close to the situation? I only said that as a fan and student, but it does remind me of the Kevin Jones situation a couple years ago...

Tex being a FA now is sort of a perfect storm because the Orioles are about to lose a ton of payroll and have core players that will stay fairly cheap over the first 5-6 years of his deal including the pitchers. It will be the last 4-5 years of the deal that might be tricky so the Orioles would be smart to follow the way the Yankees structured A-Rod's contract:

So you pay more for him in his prime seasons and less for him as he ages, and your younger core players start getting more expensive...

That's 10/235, I don't think it's that high. Of course, who knows.

There is no salary cap in MLB. So it is not nearly as necessary to be financially responsible with contracts. Either way, this contract would only put the payroll at 80 mil or so. It was that high before there was MASN and a guaranteed value of the club.
If your argument is that the team will be able to afford a large contract to Tex, I agree.

But so many times people argue "who cares how much they spend, its not your money". Thats an ignorant argument, because it ignores the realities of what the team can spend. Everybody can have a slightly different estimate of the team's max potential payroll, but people should stay within those guidelines for estimating how much the team can afford. When posters say "I don't want x player for more than y dollars" its because they feel after a certain price a guy ends up hurting the team relative to what the team can afford.

That's 10/235, I don't think it's that high. Of course, who knows.

Well that's not taking into account A-Rod's signing bonus of 10 million and his incentives for hitting the HR milestones.

I was just pointing out the de-escalating salary as A-Rod aged.

Well that's not taking into account A-Rod's signing bonus of 10 million and his incentives for hitting the HR milestones.

I was just pointing out the de-escalating salary as A-Rod aged.

Actually it's 10/265. My mistake though, I thought you were giving an estimate of Tex's contract, not ARod's.

To the contrary... When you are competing in the same division with teams with 2x, or 3x the revenues it is crucial that this team make smart financial moves. They can ill afford bad contract(s) being on the books and still expect to contend.

There is definitely some truth to that. But if you're looking at a contract for Tex, if you are ok for 23-24 mil per year, overpaying at 26 doesn't make it a "bad contract".

Only way it is bad if he gets injured. And that at that point, any contract is a "bad contract".

My main point is, the O's have some money to spend. This is not uncharted territory for them.

So you pay more for him in his prime seasons and less for him as he ages, and your younger core players start getting more expensive...
Thats stupid investing, plain and simple. The Yankees would save about $7.5M over the life of the contract by reversing the payments of 2009-2017 and backloading the deal.

Tex being a FA now is sort of a perfect storm because the Orioles are about to lose a ton of payroll and have core players that will stay fairly cheap over the first 5-6 years of his deal including the pitchers. It will be the last 4-5 years of the deal that might be tricky so the Orioles would be smart to follow the way the Yankees structured A-Rod's contract:

Website below outlines some of the salary lost in the past year. Tejada gone, Ramon gone, Bradford gone, Payton gone, Millar gone. Lots of dead salary leaving the books.

Question for everyone. *IF* the O's land Teixeira, do they push for someone they might not otherwise be interested in, a la Ben Sheets, Jon Garland, etc?

Are you close to the situation? I only said that as a fan and student, but it does remind me of the Kevin Jones situation a couple years ago...

No...but fightonstate.com has its own insiders. Belkast, BB, and Sonny are Gods here. Well, weve got a couple gods of our own on that board. Weve been given a few winks.

From a financial standpoint, you really don't want to do that, the time value of money being what it is. You want to defer the payments until later so you have the earning power of the money now.

Archived