The attendance thread 2022

Frobby

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Saw today that average MLB attendance at the all star break was 26,409, down 5.4% from the ASB of 2019, the last year without attendance restrictions.  I think the O’s are a little better than that viz. 2019.   

However, when 28,468 for a Friday night against the Yankees is considered a big crowd, the bar is pretty low.  

We’re ahead of 2019 by a few hundred fans. 16,444 this year and 16,146 in 2019. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/attend.shtml

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Brown just reported 36000 tonight biggest since Opening Day.    Lot of home games, lot of pent up enthusiasm to tap into if they can.

Largest non-Opening Day crowd since 2018.  I was there — it was pretty packed.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah it’s pretty ridiculous in there.

They had at least one stall closed in the upper deck on Hawaiian shirt night, last time I went. Lines were crazy and they ran out of hotdogs at the stall I went to in the 5th inning!

11 hours ago, connja said:

They may need to hire more vendors and food service to keep pace!

Yep and  stock more. They were out of ketchup, and one stall nearly out of beers, in the 5th inning. 

(note this is actually incredibly hard. You can’t really staff well around a couple of large crowds)

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Attendance through 50 games: 845,589.  That compares to 874,304 in 2019.

That doesn’t include tonight’s 41,086.   I’m thinking some of those folks will want to come back.  

That was loudest I have heard that place in 5 years at the end of the game.  

On 7/24/2022 at 5:44 PM, fansince1988 said:

It was nice to see the large crowds again, I watched at home in the air conditioning. The glaringly empty LF upper deck area desperately needs to be repurposed though. 

This may have been touched on earlier in this thread, but what's the reason for blocking off those 3 sections?  I presume the cost to staff them vs the lack of ticket sales?  It sure was an eyesore this evening.

1 hour ago, paullwaull said:

This may have been touched on earlier in this thread, but what's the reason for blocking off those 3 sections?  I presume the cost to staff them vs the lack of ticket sales?  It sure was an eyesore this evening.

An eyesore?  That’s a bit dramatic. They just rope those off so that the fans are more bunched together, slightly less sporadic. Makes sense to me. 

Pretty solid wave got going tonight. Made it around the upper and lower decks 6 or 7 full times. Enthusiastic and great crowd. Lotta fun being there tonight. 

• Upvote 1

On TV, it's an eyesore imo.  I can understand the reasoning I guess, but when the camera pans to the outfield and you see all of those empties, it just looks off.  Reminds me of what the giants used to do blocking off seats in the same area of their stadium.

8 hours ago, paullwaull said:

99% of the time, there’s plenty of room to accommodate everyone who wants to attend without selling those seats, and they don’t need to pay ushers and vendors to cover those sections or clean them after the game.   I’m a little surprised they don’t have the flexibility to open those sections on the rare nights when they are at or near capacity.