Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The funny thing is, is that you would think 3B would be the quicker way to get him up here, not 1B.   He's not going to be brought up to be a caddy for Mountcastle.    Urias to 2B and Henderson to 3B seems to make sense.   Henderson to 1B and Mountcastle to ???? is a little tougher to comprehend.    Unless, that want Henderson at 3B 3-4 times a week and want him at 1B 1-2 times a week.   I guess that makes sense.

I think this all just comes down to Nevin being the back up first basemen and the most logical piece to be replaced. They are just making sure they have a back up 1B that can occasionally spell Mountcastle to take advantage of a matchup. 

15 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Henderson plays 2B today.  

Now THAT is interesting.    His first start of 2022 anywhere aside from 3B/SS.

Always possible just contingency planning, but would be curious if it means Urias has been cemented as an okay 3B unplayable 2B so much in the Club's mindset that they would push a top prospect to maybe something new for a 30-40 game push.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Now THAT is interesting.    His first start of 2022 anywhere aside from 3B/SS.

Always possible just contingency planning, but would be curious if it means Urias has been cemented as an okay 3B unplayable 2B so much in the Club's mindset that they would push a top prospect to maybe something new for a 30-40 game push.

It wouldn’t be the first time.

Manny Machado played a grand total of 2 minor league games at third base before the Orioles called him up to be the starting third baseman in 2012. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, LA2 said:

MLB.com front-page article on Henderson's performance last night with surprisingly good interview on (a) the details of his swing approach during different at-bats of his 3-hit game and (b) how he went about playing the new position:

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-gunnar-henderson-lifts-tides-to-walk-off-win?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

That is. Good article!

6 hours ago, LA2 said:

MLB.com front-page article on Henderson's performance last night with surprisingly good interview on (a) the details of his swing approach during different at-bats of his 3-hit game and (b) how he went about playing the new position:

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-gunnar-henderson-lifts-tides-to-walk-off-win?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

He seems very cerebral - really paying attention to what the pitchers are trying to do, not just to him, but to the other hitters so he can pick up patterns and anticipate a pitch.  He’s going to be a good one. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He seems very cerebral - really paying attention to what the pitchers are trying to do, not just to him, but to the other hitters so he can pick up patterns and anticipate a pitch.  He’s going to be a good one. 

That was my thought. Also talked about how in July he had gotten out of his game a bit and then getting back to it.

Vavra, Stowers, Adley (obviously), all seem like they really have a plan and Gunnar seems the same. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, seak05 said:

That was my thought. Also talked about how in July he had gotten out of his game a bit and then getting back to it.

Vavra, Stowers, Adley (obviously), all seem like they really have a plan and Gunnar seems the same. 

And I don’t think that’s an accident.  Elias & co. look for players who are not only talented, but have that kind of mindset.  It’s going to be fun when the major league roster is full of those kinds of guys.  They’re getting there already.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cnmilton said:

Could todays game be Gunnars last game at Norfolk? If so, he had a pretty solid showingat pretty much every level of the Os minor league teams.

He played 2nd base again today.  I do have a feeling he could be starting at 2nd for the Orioles on Tuesday.  We will see.

35 minutes ago, accinfo said:

He played 2nd base again today.  I do have a feeling he could be starting at 2nd for the Orioles on Tuesday.  We will see.

I think you’re reading too much into this.  They have Odor, Vavra and Urias as 2B options of varying value.  I think Henderson is much more likely to take Nevin’s roster spot and play 3rd base.

I’d like to see Vavra get lots of run at 2nd; Urias to be the first utility option; and Odor be a LH pinch hitter.

• Upvote 1