ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

Well, I can tell you one thing. Even if the O's and Tex have an agreement with each other, they won't come forth with the news until sometime during the daylight hours tomorrow. There's no chance ole Pete lets this news slip in the middle of the night.

Hmm... maybe it's a good thing we haven't heard from Belkast lately? :D

Yikes. Two whole minutes without a post.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have to say this about living in enemy territory.

Red Sox fans could care less about signing Tex, and most of them take a ho hum approach to the whole thing. Many of them would like to see Lowell stay. In Boston Tex is just another player....in Baltimore he is an instant hero.

I hope that is something Tex understands. Frankly it is something that his agent should be talking with him about....but boras doesn't have his clients best interest in mind.

Because if you are actually at the point where you can contend and he can opt out after 3 or 4 years you either are in the offseason having to plug a huge hole that you wouldn't have been able to plan ahead for or you need to tack on a couple of extra years and extra money per year to keep the player.

First post...

How do opt-outs work? Does the team have the first opportunity to sign the guy to a more expensive contract (like a restricted FA in football) or would Tex just become fair game for everyone (like an unrestricted FA in football).

Sorry for the NFL talk, I know much more about football than baseball.

Go O's!

Because if you are actually at the point where you can contend and he can opt out after 3 or 4 years you either are in the offseason having to plug a huge hole that you wouldn't have been able to plan ahead for or you need to tack on a couple of extra years and extra money per year to keep the player.
If the decision is to sign him with an opt out or to not sign him, its not even remotely debatable, signing him is the better choice.

As you are someone who's been lukewarm at best, I don't understand why you'd be against an opt out. It would seem to satisfy every possible concern you'd have. He'd just opt out after year 4 or 5, making his contract of a length that you would probably consider ideal.

An opt out after year 3 would be tough for me, I don't know if I'd do that even if it is the difference between signing him or not, and probably wouldn't if he insists on a lot of money in those first 3 years. But after year 4 or 5 I am more comfortable.

First post...

How do opt-outs work? Does the team have the first opportunity to sign the guy to a more expensive contract (like a restricted FA in football) or would Tex just become fair game for everyone (like an unrestricted FA in football).

Sorry for the NFL talk' date=' I know much more about football than baseball.

Go O's![/quote']The opt out would work however the two sides decide to make it work.

However in most cases with Boras, its just a player's option to basically void the rest of his deal and become a FA. In recent years ARod, Burnett, and JD Drew have opted out of their current deals to get bigger ones.

I also have to say this about living in enemy territory.

Red Sox fans could care less about signing Tex, and most of them take a ho hum approach to the whole thing. Many of them would like to see Lowell stay. In Boston Tex is just another player....in Baltimore he is an instant hero.

I hope that is something Tex understands. Frankly it is something that his agent should be talking with him about....but boras doesn't have his clients best interest in mind.

That's why I don't understand when Red Sox fans talk about the marketing advantage Tex would have in Boston since their media market is larger since up there he is just another guy and here he would, along with Markakis, be the franchise. He would get all the local car dealer ads, the Mid-Atlantic Milk Marketing Association ads, his picture on the highway signs near the stadium, and so forth.

The opt out would work however the two sides decide to make it work.

However in most cases with Boras, its just a player's option to basically void the rest of his deal and become a FA. In recent years ARod, Burnett, and JD Drew have opted out of their current deals to get bigger ones.

Got it...thank you!

I love that we've moved on from whether or not Tex will sign to discussing no trade clauses and opt-outs within his contract that hasn't been signed with any team.

I guess that means we're pretty sure at this point? :o

No, not at all. Boras is most likely doing the same negotiations with all 4 clubs at this point, getting each to the point of a final offer.

yes - I think the BJ's are for AJ
Again, it would depend on how the opt out is written. Some are written where the team can offer arbitration and receive compensation. Some are written so the team cannot.

I'll go out on a very short limb and guarantee that if the Orioles allow an opt-out clause in this deal, they'll make sure they have the chance at getting compensation if he does leave.

If the decision is to sign him with an opt out or to not sign him, its not even remotely debatable, signing him is the better choice.

As you are someone who's been lukewarm at best, I don't understand why you'd be against an opt out. It would seem to satisfy every possible concern you'd have. He'd just opt out after year 4 or 5, making his contract of a length that you would probably consider ideal.

An opt out after year 3 would be tough for me, I don't know if I'd do that even if it is the difference between signing him or not, and probably wouldn't if he insists on a lot of money in those first 3 years. But after year 4 or 5 I am more comfortable.

Make it year 5 or 6 and I'd love it, but I'd expect Boras to push for year three to maximize the additional money he'll be able to collect. It wouldn't make as much sense for Boras to push for it at 34 or 35 years of age. And if it is year three, let's be realisitic, we'd try to meet his asking price and could make a bad contract turn into an awful one.

Archived