Creed Willems 2022

Paul in Virginia

22 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

He got a million dollars.  He can afford to go to college when his baseball career is over, which will be soon if he keeps putting up a .153 OPS. 

Unless it has changed all the deals for HS players include money for college if the player requests it.

39 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

1-4 with a double last night.

I know it's a miniscule sample size, but Willems OPS is currently .789. For perspective, Cowser's is .759 and Mayo's is .775.

This is the Creed Willems thread, not the Donta' Williams thread.  lol

• Upvote 1

It’s not the end of the world if he has to go back down to one of the FCL teams. He’s only 18 and played in just 10 games last year. I’d rather him play in Delmarva than have him play in simulated games until the FCL starts. We always complain about Elias slow rolling prospects. Well he didn’t here. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

6 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I finally had a chance to watch him last night...I don't know. He moves around a lot behind the plate. He's young and I think the bat will come around for him.

Something positive.   Let's hope so.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Far, far too early to tell about this kid, although the early returns are terrible.  Gotta wonder what Elias saw in him to give him a million dollars but we'll see.

Not the start anyone would want, including Willems, I'm sure.

Especially to give him $1 million. I mean, the kid lasted until the 8th round, it's pretty clear no one else felt like he was worth what he wanted but the Orioles.

Sometimes I wonder if the Orioles think they are smarter than they really are. The kid had really good EVs, but there's a lot more to a hitter than good EVs. 

It's too early to judge Elias' drafting when it comes to his hitter heavy and spreading out the bonuses of his top picks strategies. I'll be honest, other than Gunnar Henderson, the top prospects have been largely either unassuming or playing poorly. 

I see a lot of walking, but not a lot of power and turn your head away if you like guys that hits for high average because that does not appears to be Elias and his scouts strength.

It's too early to call this kid a bust, but his inability even compete in Low-A as a 19-year old while looking utterly out of place from a body makeup means he's got a long way to go.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Especially to give him $1 million. I mean, the kid lasted until the 8th round, it's pretty clear no one else felt like he was worth what he wanted but the Orioles.

Sometimes I wonder if the Orioles think they are smarter than they really are. The kid had really good EVs, but there's a lot more to a hitter than good EVs. 

It's too early to judge Elias' drafting when it comes to his hitter heavy and spreading out the bonuses of his top picks strategies. I'll be honest, other than Gunnar Henderson, the top prospects have been largely either unassuming or playing poorly. 

I see a lot of walking, but not a lot of power and turn your head away if you like guys that hits for high average because that does not appears to be Elias and his scouts strength.

It's too early to call this kid a bust, but his inability even compete in Low-A as a 19-year old while looking utterly out of place from a body makeup means he's got a long way to go.

I don’t know enough about who else was available but I doubt they were targeting Willems in the 8th round. I think it’s more likely there were guys in the earlier rounds who went before they had a crack at them, then looked up in the 8th and saw Willems still available and figured he was as good as anyone else still on the board.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

You could say that same thing about Mayo but, of course, there's no reason to say that about Mayo.