28 to 26 cutdown 48 hours away

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

i don't think Urias is great at SS, but I see no reason you can't play him there in a spot. I've seen nothing from Owings that suggests he's some defensive wizard there either. Owings is like Flaherty but he doesn't hit left-handed.

Thank God for that, we'd never get rid of him!!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Could be they are just trying to get McKenna some regular AB's for a couple weeks? I do think with our rortation we need the extra pitcher more than the bench player. I really don't have a strong feeling between Owings and McKenna but it's probably more important to have a backup SS than CF.

Maybe. They are hurting for outfielders in Norfolk right now. They had to bring up a guy from extended spring training who was terrible in A-ball last year and he misplayed two balls that cost Rodriguez. Some guys must be banged up so maybe sending him back to get some ABs and perhaps get him started a bit. Saying that, I think McKenna is who he's going to be.

38 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe. They are hurting for outfielders in Norfolk right now. they had to bring up a guy from extended spring training who was terrible in A-ball last year and he misplayed two balls that cost Rodriguez. some guys must be banged up so maybe sending him back to get some ABs and perhaps get him started a bit. Saying that, I think McKenna is who he's going to be.

Norfolk has 6 OF currently, I didn't realize guys were banged up but that makes sense I guess. Otherwise that's too damn many.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Norfolk has 6 OF currently, I didn't realize guys were banged up but that makes sense I guess. Otherwise that's too damn many.

Yep…something has to give…why doesn’t Elias ever trade the “prospects” he doesn’t value as highly for major league talent? When they fail, their value plummets to zero. Not a good model for long term success. 

3 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Yep…something has to give…why doesn’t Elias ever trade the “prospects” he doesn’t value as highly for major league talent? When they fail, their value plummets to zero. Not a good model for long term success. 

Duquette traded draft choices for MLB talent because they were a contending team.    Elias is not there yet.  He is still building so he tries to develop prospects instead of trading them.   There will come a time in future years where I think that will happen if some prospect is blocked.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Duquette traded draft choices for MLB talent because they were a contending team.    Elias is not there yet.  He is still building so he tries to develop prospects instead of trading them.   There will come a time in future years where I think that will happen if some prospect is blocked.

Duquette traded a draft choice for MLB talent.

The other times he traded draft picks it was for salary relief.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Duquette traded a draft choice for MLB talent.

The other times he traded draft picks it was for salary relief.

He signed free agents that cost high draft choices.  That is trading draft choices for MLB talent.  Ubaldo, Cobb.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He signed free agents that cost high draft choices.  That is trading draft choices for MLB talent.  Ubaldo, Cobb.

Oh, OK, I thought you were being literal.

Yes, the Cobb, Ublado and Davis signings were bad.  The Cruz one worked out OK and I'm not sure Trumbo would have netted the O's a pick.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh, OK, I thought you were being literal.

Yes, the Cobb, Ublado and Davis signings were bad.  The Cruz one worked out OK and I'm not sure Trumbo would have netted the O's a pick.

I wasn't saying whether they were good or bad.   Its something Duquette did as a contending GM.   ERod for Andrew Miller.   Its the phase of the team cycle that he was in.   Win now.    Elias is not there yet.  But he will probably get there.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Love your posts, but think your missing my point here. If you are the #1 ranked farm system and you think you have the inside track or who is overrated or who might fail in that system (Zac Lowther, Diaz, Nevin come to mind by whoever…). Why let them fail and their value go to zero?  Use the status as #1 farm system to your advantage! Elias is from a scouting background, no? 

Just now, wildcard said:

I wasn't saying whether they were good or bad.   Its something Duquette did as a contending GM.   ERod for Andrew Miller.   Its the phase of the team cycle that he was in.   Win now.    Elias is not there yet.  But he will probably get there.

Man I hope we eventually get to the winning part of all this.

Just now, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Love your posts, but think your missing my point here. If you are the #1 ranked farm system and you think you have the inside track or who is overrated or who might fail in that system (Zac Lowther, Diaz, Nevin come to mind by whoever…). Why let them fail and their value go to zero?  Use the status as #1 farm system to your advantage! Elias is from a scouting background, no? 

It isn't as simple of trading guys that you know aren't going to pan out to teams that will give you good value for them.

You don't see many prospect for prospect trades go down.

2 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I think you are overvaluing the minor leaguers you mentioned.   Lowther has never had a high velocity fastball.  So even after he had a good year at AA he had almost no trade value.

Diaz has been hurt almost since the O's acquired him.   His trade value is very low.   We are talking a Dominican youngster maybe.

Since Nevin was acquired in trade he has not hit until the last month at AAA.  That is not lost on other GM.   They know its a long shot that he is good defensively at any position and  that the odds are he will not hit in the majors.  One month of being hot changed that very little if at all.

Real trade value for minor leaguers happens when a prospect was highly drafted and rated, has played well through the minors and is blocked.   We have not seen that happen yet under Elias.  But has many highly drafted prospects has he is drafting its should happen in the future.

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Man I hope we eventually get to the winning part of all this.

For all my optimism, don't think I haven't lied awake at night thinking, "well what if Grayson and Adley and Hall actually don't work out like we thought?" Does the FO spend anyway at that point if there's enough B tier prospects that are panning out? Who the hell knows honestly. So much rides on the next wave. Which is why it gives me an ulcer when the wave behind them (Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz) struggle a bit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

What makes you think those players could be traded for major league talent?